add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this Build Cost Efficient?

bladeryu

62 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bladeryu/saved/LmKcCJ

Being relatively new to PC building, I'm trying to build a "modest" gaming rig, but also try to be as cost efficient as possible. If possible, could anyone make this build around $800-Low $900?

P.S. I Have No Idea what overclocking is or what it does, and i'm assuming the motherboard chosen is able to be overclocked..

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Over clocking speeds up your CPU. You have a overclockable CPU and motherboard, and liquid cooling. if you do not plan to overclock then ditch the liquid cooling, over clockable MOBO, and overclockable CPU. And your build will be cheaper.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You should go with the i5 4690k, it's a better bang for your buck overclockable cpu, and you should go with a z97 chipset motherboard like the msi gaming 5. You could probably get away with a hyper 212 evo air cpu cooler instead of the water cooler, it's a little less expensive and just fine for overclocks. You might be able to get a better bang for your buck gpu for around that price, but I wouldn't be able to recommend one.

Edit: I didn't see the 800-900 thing, my bad.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

P.S. I Have No Idea what overclocking is or what it does

I usually run by the saying "if you don't know what it is or what it does, you don't need it"

anyhow, I believe you'd need to go more to AMD's side to lower the price. Now, I really have no idea where their CPUs tend to lie in comparison with certain Intel ones so someone else should take a look, but I came up with this based on the ratings on this site

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $96.78 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $26.75 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $111.96 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $75.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $119.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 285 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card $185.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $114.96 @ Directron
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $60.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $935.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 21:25 EST-0500

and yes, the 280/285 is better than the 760, especially at that price point.

You can also shave a bit more off (like possibly drop it below $900) by slimming the SSD down to 128GB or so for OS and important stuff only and use the 1 TB drive for everything else

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Overclocking is running parts faster than the manufacturer states it can run at, as you are new to PC building I'd recommend not doing it. Also, parts that cannot be overclocked are cheaper usually.

Used I5 that cannot be overclocked, can use the included Intel cooler, suitable motherboard, cheaper memory. 120GB SSD is big enough for OS, save games to the HDD. Added a cheaper version of the 760.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $172.94 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $89.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $66.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sandisk Ultra II 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $52.24 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card $169.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $114.96 @ Directron
Power Supply Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $848.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 21:51 EST-0500

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube