add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

EX-mac, ready for first custom PC

chadinator

62 months ago

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/chadinator/saved/QyxWGX

Hi all,

I am on the verge of purchasing a full set of hardware to build something with some longetivity before having to think about expanding/upgrading.

Firstly, I'll start off by saying I was one of the unlucky ones who bought an early 2011 macbook pro (video card failed after 3 years) and I'm not entering a stupid mac store to get it fixed. no more warranty anyhow.

This system will be used for work at home that I don't get done in the office. Programs used will be:

VIDEO- After Effects 2D ARTWORK- photoshop/Illustrator 3D MODELLING- Modo, Rhino CAM- Visualmill/RhinoCam (extensive use of machining simulations)

Also, I've recently been invited over to friends place for games night once a week. So, I might put a game or two on as well, so I can at least be slightly competitive with a bit of practice.

Thanks Very Much for any help before I dive into this thing!

Chad

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Welcome back from the dark side, not a fan of Apple to say the least.....

Regrettably, I'm not knowledgeable about your work applications so cannot comment. For gaming, I can tell you a 970 is a great choice.

The PSU you have selected is not the best though, this one is both top quality and cheaper http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank You Tel,

It does look nice, list adjusted. I just assumed a corsair supply would work best in a corsair case.

chad

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

WOAH! WHAAAAAAAAAAT? For your needs, you definitely won't need a $4000 dollar build. I know that's around 3350 USD, but for what you need, a sub-$2000 (around $1500-$1800) will suffice.

Why do you need an 8 core i7?

The CPU cooler is fine.

If you change your CPU, you may have to change your motherboard (because of the socket).

32GB is fine, but 16GB would work, too (personally I'd stick with the 32GB).

In your budget, even a 500GB SSD would work; I'm assuming that you'll actually be storing stuff.

Concerning your hard drive, unless you're constantly archiving your work, you'd be surprised how quickly the space fills up with the kind of work you're doing. I'd suggest, depending on your usage, anywhere from a couple of 2TB drives or a few 1TB in RAID or even a single 3, 4, 5, or 6TB drive.

The 970's from EVGA (and also the 980's, if I remember correctly) have misaligned cooling pipes straight from the factory. They'll still run fine, but they'll run hotter and louder, the former leading to a shorter lifespan. I would also recommend a 980 because of the work you're doing (or if you plan on playing 1440p; two 970's in SLI should be fine for multi-monitor 1080p, or even 4K). This all depends on what games you'll be playing, too.

You don't really need Windows Professional.

The Wifi adpater is too expensive for the features. Get an AC adapter from Intel for $34.99.

Just ask if you need more help in any way.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for suggestions,

I was trying to get as many cores as i could afford, primarily because it's what my cam software uses to calculate machining operations, which can take and incredibly long time to compute for certain routines.

I will have to take a look at larger drives. Was a bit unsure of the speed of the hard drives best to get (just stick with 7200)?

And your right- i don't need window pro.

Thanks again,

Chad

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

7200 is a great speed. Any slower creates a noticeable speed drop in read and write times. 10000 RPM drives are just too expensive.

CPU - I see why you might want the 8 core now, but I've definitely seen workstations that performed amazingly well with a 6 core. It'll save you a lot of money and you could get a 980, and more drives.

Also, the Intel wi-fi adapter will perform better and will pick up 2.4 or 5 GHz signal and faster (it's slightly more [I think, because of money conversion] expensive, although I'm not sure how much $35-40 USD is in Australian).

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You should still be able to get away with a less expensive Z97 setup or even one of the other X99 -K CPUs (5930k or 5820k)

but seeing this line

I was trying to get as many cores as i could afford

leads me to believe it fits within your budget as it is sooo... Guess you get to be the one with the ridiculously overpowered PC in your group and it would definitely be a huge jump from your Mac

would still try to find a less expensive setup, though. I'm also not too sure if programs can take advantage of 16 cores (8 physical + 8 via hyperthreading) quite yet

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube