add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Please advice on case fans for a Thermaltake mid tower

Veizin

60 months ago

Hello! I build this baby about a week ago: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/LJTH99. It's running great, but a bit too hot for my taste. Near 70 on the CPU and over 80 on the GPU. My concern is the GPU. So I was thinking of putting a couple case fans at the bottom front of the case to create positive pressure inside the case to help combat dust and to also get the poor GPU some airflow as currently there is none there as the entire airflow is above it.

The system is really quite quiet at the moment, even at full loads. I would like to get some fans that would keep it that way. Any recommendations on what fans to get? I've also no idea how I would get them in there. Is there room for fans there at all in that case? I had a look and it appears to be, but I have absolutely no idea how to dismantle the front part to get fans in there. Any advice with that would also be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

Noctua, Scythe and other fans using fluid dynamic bearings is frequently mentioned. For additional ideas: silentpcreview

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I already got a couple of fans, but I don't think that was the issue with my GPU temps.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

If applicable (your link above expired) only alternative is to replace the thermal compound of the video card and/or replace the cooler on it...

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/LJTH99

Just remove the uk in front, I don't know why it doesn't open with the uk prefix. It's a new card, so I was even thinking of returning it. I bought 2 case fans blowing straight at it and it still went over 80. I think it reached 82 or 85 playing FC4. I read on Newegg a reply by Zotac to someone, who had expressed a similar concern and they said 80s is fine. While I know it's not dangerous, I think it might impact the longevity and performance of the GPU.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

That Zotac already has a cooler with heatpipes built-in so unlikely to get lower temps even if you change the cooler on it.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I browsed through all builds that used the same Zotac in this forum. Average load temps are below the 70c mark. Only 2-3 had their temps in the 70s, and only one person had it at 80C, but he had his in the tiniest case that doesn't even officially support the size of the GPU. I do think that the thermal paste might be the problem, but if I replace that and it's not that, then I'm stuck as I've voided the warranty. I think I will consider returning it and just get a twin frozr instead or some other of the more reputable brands.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube