add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best z97 MOBO to pair with a 4690k

Denverreich

62 months ago

Hey guys, just wanted to get some extra input on this. Whats the best z97 mobo to pair with a i5-4690k? Im looking for one on the more budget side of things, like below $150-140. I was looking into the Gigabyte GA-z97X sli mobo and it seems like the best choice for right now. I wanted to see what other people have to say about this, if theres one cheaper that performs just as well or whatever. Thanks in advance for the input! Also, if anyone has a GTX 750 ti 2GB, could you tell me how well it performs? Seems like a solid card for the price, and anything is an upgrade from my Radeon HD 7770 1GB.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

R9 270 or R9 270X will give you a much larger performance jump at that price, however it'll eat about 180W compared to the Ti's 60W draw :p

Current price/performance thing seems to be the GTX 970, if you can fit that in. It'll draw less power as well

The Gigabyte board you've listed should do fine

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I could fit in a 970 maybe after the 1st of the year. And, i found a different mobo that has the colors i want, im trying to make matching colors, going for a black/white build. Found a new Gigabyte board thats just black and gray. But thanks for the input, and i'll look into those R9's. Whats your opinion on the 280/280x/290?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Whats your opinion on the 280/280x/290?

Personally, I don't have them. I do know that the non-X variants are just clocked slightly lower than the X so it's kinda a waste to get a 280x/290x when you can just OC the 280/290 and get the same effect at a lower cost

Looking at the specs, though, these should be able to easily pull off multi-monitor or large resolution setups with their good amounts of VRAM and large bus widths (larger than the 970/980 I believe). Basically, they can push more/larger data

They eat more power and generate more heat than their Nvidia counterparts and Crossfire seems like it'd be expensive power-wise, but they are usually priced cheaper (a 290 costs as much as a 970 in some/most places).

I think they'd do rather well today and for the next year or two, specially so if people are still slapping them in today's builds :p

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Any motherboard should be good. Just look at if it is Z97 and anything should work. Just look at the reviews. I have the gtx 750 ti and its a good card but if you plan on gaming i would recommend getting something like the gtx 970.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, i'll look into the 970's. I heard though it has some optimization issues with some games? Even though its not as big as a deal cuz the only games i play religiously would be DotA 2, CS:GO and Age of Mythology. But i would like to play my total war games like Rome 2 and Shogun 2. Thanks for the input!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube