add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1st custom build advice

RogueRenegade

62 months ago

Ive gotten pre builds before, and am fairly knowledgeable in parts, and was wondering if anyone has any tips on this build, maybe even cut costs and keep performance/make it better. I have no particular budget so long as its not overkill as ik seeing what I have to save for, and also I just let PCPP figure out the cheapest vendor.http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4WYHrH

EDIT: could I also get suggestions on peripherals, monitor etc. was interested in razer products, but I've heard they like to crap out after a relatively short time. Keyboard wise I really don't care if there's LEDs or not, and I like full size KBs and the W relatively above A. Headphones in not much an audiophile, but I like SS, as I feel I'm in the game due to sound location in various sounds. Mice I don't mind, just nothing small and too fancy. Monitors I don't mind about but if I could get a nice 22in+ with a good price thatd be cool. And if you have any other types of peripherals you would think would be a good addition let me know:) likely I will be getting a Rift btw

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You say you don't have a particular budget as long as it's not overkill, but what would be your max?

ALso, what are you going to be using it for?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say nothing more than 1200-1500 (including peripherals etc...having trouble deciding on K/Ms, monitors etc)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mb2HrH

Stuck in a more powerful gpu, a cpu cooler so you can get to higher overclocks, an ssd for your os to make startup a bit quicker and exchanged for an sli capable motherboard incase you want to stick in another 970 down the line. You should still have enough for decent peripherals hopefully.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks :p I don't plan on OCing immediately, so the stock cooler should work? And if I do get an SSD could I knock the. HDD down to 1tb?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The stock cooler should be fine for normal usage and possibly light overclocks. If 1tb is all you need then sure, the SSD is more for your OS and a few programs that benefit from the additional speed.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

And gaming mainly, may dabble/start going into vfx, streaming n YouTubing etc

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Bump

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Bumpity bump bump

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are getting the CPU from microcenter (in-store pick-up only) as your partlist says you are, you could get a mobo from them as well as a bundle: http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

If you want to SLI gtx 970s, you should probably have at least 700W PSU. If you want to OC as well, then you'll want higher. Tier 1 (the one you selected is tier 3), gold, 750W PSU for $70 on sale atm: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017&cm_re=supernova_G2-_-17-438-017-_-Product

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't have any microcenter near me. When I buy I'm likely to change anything that says MC as vendor. Sucks they don't ship for whatever odd reason. I just let PCPP figure the cheapest vendor atm. I'm not going to OC immediately. Maybe after a year or two's use. And I've been weary of the PSU I know corsair's are excellent, but ill likely change to higher watts as needed

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube