add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

HELP! Buying most parts soon!

SilentStrike

62 months ago

Just checking if any problems i have not seen or recommendations from owners of certain parts. Will be using for casual gaming but at high resolutions plus also dual screening. Also being used for schoolwork.

Note: The PSU is not the one i chose, already ordered the cooler master V550

Parts i have already are the motherboard, RAM, graphics card, SSD, cooler and wifi (not sure about wifi but will order third party antenna's)

Partlist - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/SilentStrike/saved/nXYbt6

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

So if I've got this right, you already own most of it and are just buying new CPU, HDD and case? They're good, all looks compatible.

A 550w PSU is a bit tight, be ok if you're not overclocking, but likely to cause you problems if you do overclock by much.

When you say high resolutions? A 270x is ok gaming at 1080p medium to high, not sure how well it will do with higher than that. It'll display higher than that, just going to struggle with games.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah only at 1080p

and does overclocking really use that much wattage? as the build will only be using 430W

The parts that i already have, i have already ordered/ bought recently

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

When a PSU goes over about 80% load it will get hot, and then the fan will spin up so noisy. If you consistently put a PSU under serious load you are likely to shorten its life. The stability of supply it provides to your PC components is also likely to be of a lesser quality when under serious load.

As a very rough rule of thumb, take the estimated wattage, add 100w if overclocking, then add 25% to keep usage below 80%. This is not by any means a scientific calculation, but it does give a good idea. With your setup and overclocking, I would look at a 650w PSU.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

not even super mild overclocking? Surely it wont go over by too much?

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

A mild overclock should be fine.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok then, thanks! :)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Get an 8350 not very expensive and 0.5 ghz faster

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

But can't i overclock the cpu to that speeds anyway and save £20?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It will run hotter last shorter more strain and you might not be able to

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

what about the cpu cooler i will be using? Wouldn't that be ok for mild overclocking for example 3.5Ghz to 3.8/3.9Ghz?

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Well ya see not every cpu can overclock perfectly. Some can get extreme oc like to 5.9 or something crazy and other can not even push 0.1ghz more using water cooling. its like the lottery a little bit

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess then i'll attempt it, if not then im still happy with 8 cores and 3.5Ghz since my friend has same cpu.

Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube