add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for some thoughts/opinions on 2K build

PhotriusPyrelus

62 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $299.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler $59.90 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $134.99 @ Micro Center
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $144.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.99 @ Amazon
Storage Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $107.00 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI) $348.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI) $348.99 @ NCIX US
Case Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case $99.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Enermax REVOLUTION X't 730W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $114.99 @ Directron
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard $189.99 @ NCIX US
Mouse Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse $57.98 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2122.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-13 19:28 EST-0500

First, I know I'm a little over my $2000 budget, still debating that keyboard. I know it's complete vanity, and functionally an utter waste of money, but that thing's "cool" factor is off the charts!

The primary function of this computer will be gaming. Particularly Planetside 2, Arkham Knight and who-knows-what-future-games.

Please read the following as a student explaining why he gave certain answers on an pre-course evaluation. I don't [i]really[/i] know what I'm doing. I've spent the past week or two trying to absorb as much knowledge on the subject as I can, but I'm still an utter novice, if even that.

I've never overclocked before, but I'd like to try it if I can feel safe about doing it. The 4790 is only a fist full of dollars cheaper than the K anyway, and has a lower default clockspeed anyway.

The fan was suggested to me on another forum. I don't really care much about noise or lack thereof, but the benchmarks I saw showed it performing quite well for its cost.

The Motherboard and GPUs are MSI partly because the MSI board looks to have some easy-to-use software that only works (or works "best"?) with MSI GPUs.

The SSD was suggested by a number of folks at another site, I didn't really do much digging around about it.

The HDD I read around a bit and realized the Seagate I had slotted before was likely a bad choice; Hitachi and Western Digital seem to make far more reliable HDDs. I tend to leave my computer on 24/7, so longevity and reliability are kind of important, and that Hitachi seemed to have both.

The case is part style and part function. It looks slick, I like the almost full-side window, and it has removable dust filters EVERYWHERE. Watched some in-depth case-tour videos and it just looks fantastic.

The PSU is probably my biggest uncertainty. I was thinking about a 630, but I'm so ignorant about overclocking and PSUs in general, I just don't know. I've read Enermax makes good ones, and that recent offerings from Corsair (the brand I've got in my current PC) are a bit weak.

The CD drive is just a CD-drive. I probably won't use it for much, since I buy almost all my games digitally now, but I like having one.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be very much appreciated, but please don't just post a change and not explain some rationale behind it. I've never been a fan of not knowing the "why" of things. =)

EDIT: I knew I forgot something! The RAM! I know 8 gigs is the "Sweet spot" for games. For now. I probably won't be messing with this computer much once it's built, I never do. I always think "Well I'll just upgrade things later" and years pass and years pass and then the whole system needs updating, so I just buy a new computer. Maybe games will never get up past 8 gigs before the rest of the system is out of date, but right now one of my big problems is that I just don't have enough RAM to run new games, so I'm overcompensating. It's a perfectly natural if irrational reaction. I'm a bit concerned about the "Memory operating voltage of 1.6V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V)." warning the list gives me, but I read that Intel under-specs the CPU Max voltage by a bit (because they know people will push past it).

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

About the 1.6 volts thing. Your ram will work at a lower clock speed to match the 1.5 volt limit. But don't worry, it wont be like a HUGE clock speed lower, you will hardly notice it. But on the other hand, everything looks great, your 2 gtx 970s will handle 2k just fine. But do not expect every game at ultra 60fps constant. Everything else looks awesome too. 16 gigs will give you room for editing if you ever come to that. 700 watts will be plenty, and your case is looking sexy. Great wishes on your build, if you got any questions I would be more than glad to answer. :)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Almost forgot. The 4790k is not the best overclocker. I only got to a 4.7. At 72.C with the corsair H100i. But it has a high base clock speed and boost, so even if your not overclocking, the 4790k is still an awesome idea

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you mean a different 2K than I meant. I was just referring to budget (should've put a dollar sign in the subject >.<). So let me ask: what do you mean by 2K? I imagine it has something to do with resolution, but as I'm "stuck" using an LG Flatron EW224 (for now, I'll get a new display later on), I'm not sure my monitor would support it (native and highest resolution was 1920x1080, as I recall).

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I think of 2k as something like 1440p. 2 GTX 970s should be able to handle it

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube