add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Anything wrong with this i5-4690k combo?

frahar

62 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $126.98 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $75.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $336.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-13 22:50 EST-0500

Now compare that to this AMD setup: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $131.98 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $116.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $306.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-14 00:22 EST-0500

I can't decide. :(

Light gaming, some graphic design.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

They are compatible, but that memory is slow, for a small amount extra this is better http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f314900cl9d8gbxl

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, thats a good point. These 3 items are all in a combo deal and I think it's good, but wanted to make sure that they are going to function together.

My biggest question is with the MOBO. If it is enabling me to have a decent upgrade path for the future, or if I'm buying a dud.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Mobo is a budget SLI model, Gigabyte are good quality. It's not a dud but it does not have the features or cooling of more expensive mobos.

Personally, I would not buy the combo because of the memory, that is a dud in my opinion.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

PcPartpiker isn't showing the full combo for some reason. It brings the price down from 399 to 336. I'm having a hard time passing it up, its basically letting me buy the Intel at AMD prices. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2093356

The kingston memory has decent reviews, and the 1600 speed is pretty standard, right? I've read that increased speed doesn't really benefit gaming much.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The difference isn't massive, that is a good price.....

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

its a 1600 with a CAS of 10. CAS of 9 is pretty standard, even in 1866s. Although you have not stated what you plan to do with it or how long till you plan to upgrade to DDR4 RAM (or if you are going to wait for DDR5). If you do lots of RAM-intensive work, then getting quality RAM might be worth it. If you're going to get a gfx card and just use it for gaming, then its probably not really important.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, good points.

I'm a casual gamer (WoW, LoL, Hearthstone), some graphic design here and there, not too crazy.

I don't plan on upgrading soon, but want a board that is somewhat future proof.

I plan on getting a decent gpu (gfx or r9) if I see a screaming deal, but not in a rush.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube