add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Very close similar builds, which one should I build? Building REAL soon. i7 k vs i5 k

sub0fux

62 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $299.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Amazon
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $6.77 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $199.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $164.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card $349.99 @ Amazon
Case BitFenix Ronin ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $77.11
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $18.26
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1448.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-14 14:28 EST-0500

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.98 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Amazon
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $6.77 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $199.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $76.97 @ OutletPC
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card $349.99 @ Amazon
Case BitFenix Ronin ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $77.11
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $18.26
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1280.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-14 14:28 EST-0500

The difference between the two is the i7 vs the i5, and the RAM, everything else is the same. I am using this build specifically for gaming like Battlefield/Planetside/Open world maps. I won't be doing any video-editing or anything like that. With this in mind, I know the i7 isn't needed, and the 16gb of ram isn't needed also. But is waiting for an extra 150-200 bucks worth it? Or should i just go for the i5 build. Need last opinions! Buying soon! THANK YOU COMMUNITY!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

The i7 is better but if your not doing any massive editing or streaming you'll do equally well on the cheaper build.

If your "stingy" w/ money opt for the cheaper build, if you could careless about the 100 dollar difference then just go for the i7.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! Ya that 100 dollar difference is really nothing to me when it comes down to the value.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Happy buildin. And may your temperatures be low and frame rates high.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If you play games like minecraft you should go for the i7 build as it can run mods better however for everything else I would go with the i5 build and maybe spend the spare money on games like unity, far cry 4, etc.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

oh ya i never thought about spending the extra cash on games i want to buy, and ya i don't play games like minecraft or any big mmorpg's, just open world maps like battlefield/planetside 2 / grand theft auto possibly. thanks again!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The i5 build; the i7's power is wasted, IMO, if not doing any video-editing/rendering or the likes.

There are also cheaper red/black mobos that do just as well, but if you got it purely on aesthetics then that's understandable :p

If you're getting that cooler, I hope you plan to OC rather hard at some point, right?

everything else is solid, IMO.

Though, considering it's a small price gap, if you just really don't care about it then go for the i7. Serves just as well and will be helpful if you decide to ever to video editing or 3D rendering or when games are finally designed to eat 4+ cores.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the opinion! Ya i don't plan on doing any video-editing or anything like that. This build will be straight up gaming/internet surfing. I agree with your opinion that the i7's power will be wasted haha.

For the mobo i planned on getting this gigabyte GA-Z97X SLI because i was on a budget, but then i decided on that maximus hero 7 when a friend of mine showed me in person and it looks kool as fuq. What do yo think is a better mobo? the ga-z97x or the hero 7?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xsli

I do plan to OC after a couple weeks of usage.

Ya considering its a small price gap, i'm going to buy either the i5 or i7 according to whatever sales come and the last few parts i need to buy. it really doesn't matter to me now.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

For the mobo i planned on getting this gigabyte GA-Z97X SLI because i was on a budget, but then i decided on that maximus hero 7 when a friend of mine showed me in person and it looks kool as fuq. What do yo think is a better mobo? the ga-z97x or the hero 7

Answer based on tier list here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2383187/motherboard-tier-list-z97-chipset.html

Z97X if on a budget, though try giving the MSI Gaming 5 and MSI Gaming 7 a look; Both fall into the same tier as the Maximus 7 (basically do as much) but are cheaper, plus they're also red/black like the Maximus

If you wanna splurge a bit for the looks, then definitely go for the MAXIMUS

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

appreciate it! i've decided on the maximus. splurge ftw and satisfaction. also my brother is on a tighter budget than i am, and he's decided on the ga-z97x SLI.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube