add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Game developement PC for about 850€ - need help + opinions

Bproof

62 months ago

Hi,

I'm trying to make a build to be used in game developement (mainly Unreal Engine 4), 3D Graphics (Blender), a little bit of video editing, etc. Additionally I want the computer to perform well in games, but that's not my main concern. I probably won't be overclocking. I haven't chosen a video card yet, because I'd rather wait a while and use my old GTX 560 Ti and buy a much better GPU a few months later.

I have a few questions/problems:

1. My current PC is using an old Tracer case. It's about 420mm/16,5" high. The problem is that I can't find any case that's going to fit the space it's currently "squeezed" in (430mm/~17"). Any suggestions for a case that would be about the same size?
  2. I read that the CPU cooler I chose (Thermalright HR-02 Rev.A) is very big. Will it fit into the new case and will there be any problems with the RAM size?
  3. Will there be problems with the BIOS on my motherboard (because of the Haswell Refresh CPU)?
  4. Is the power supply wattage OK (taking into account the new GPU I'm going to buy)?
  5. Will there be any other problems ;) ?

Besides all that I would like to know if this is really the most cost effective build when it comes to the work I'm going to do on this machine. I'd love to hear your opinion! And thank you for taking your time to read through this long post :)

Here's the build: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/b7MJRB

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Please? Anyone? I need to order the parts till tomorrow :/

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The haswell refresh processor will not have any problems in BIOS, if you chose the parts from the site, it would automatically correct and check if the parts are compatible. (except dimensions)

The CPU cooler i think is pretty non-suitable for the build. If you are going to put a lot of work on your CPU (especially on game development and video editing ) i recommend getting a Liquid Cooler instead, its much quieter (if you want a quiet build) and more efficient and in the long run, will help you much better than a regular heat sink cooler. I recommend the Corsair H100i or H110

The powersupply is OK i guess, if you arent going to put in 2-way SLI or crossfire. But you said you'll get a better GPU after a few months, better be getting atleast 650W for future proofing it.( i recommend EVGA supernova NEX 650W atleast. its 80+gold and fully modular if you want a wire-organized build.

i really hope this helps

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

if you are getting the liquid cooler, i think it will be better if you go for a low profile ram with the same specs, as it will be hard to know if the parts are compatible talking about SIZE and DIMENSIONS

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply!

"The haswell refresh processor will not have any problems in BIOS[...]" - I was just wondering, because at the bottom of the site with my build there's a note: "Some Intel Z87 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs." But I guess there's not going to be a problem with that (besides having to update BIOS)?

I'm not sure about the water cooling. Do I really need that? The noise is not my biggest concern and there is just a posibility that I'll overclock, but I'm not going to do anything extreme. I still could buy a water cooling system later on, right?

Are the 650W necessary? The GTX Titan uses 250W (just a reference, I'm not going to buy it ;) ), so that would be 450W in summary. 550W seems reasonable.

What low profile RAM would your recommend?

And most importantly - what about the case? I don't want my PC to lie naked on the floor :D

Cheers!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

you could get the corsair H60, its cheaper but still does the job. (well if u want though)

PSU, you're kinda right :)

on the ram i personally like the patriot viper (or viper patriot) low profile RAM used it for a year with no problems

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

please, the parts need to be ordered in about 10h...

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up modifying my build a little bit. Here it is: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bproof/saved/scN2FT

It works great and I'm happy about my final decision :) Thank you for your suggestions, though.

Cheers!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube