add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First attempt at a build, moderate gaming on Linux

danseFolle

62 months ago

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/danseFolle/saved/ Is this a good first build? I eventually intend to add to it, but I'm a little strapped for cash at the moment and I can't afford anything much more expensive than this.

• Planning to install LMDE
  • I live in a small apartment with a mildly psycho roommate, so I'd like it to be as quiet as possible whilst also being fairly small
  • Gaming isn't my biggest priority, but I value smooth framerate over pretty graphics
  • I'd prefer for this machine to last for a few years without needing too many upgrades

What revisions do I need to make for this to be a competent PC?

EDIT - revised layout as suggested by vagabond139

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I miss my old linux boxes. I have this t-shirt. XKCd has the funniest cartoons. http://store-xkcd-com.myshopify.com/products/linux-cheat-shirt

(2) you can reduce noise with some self-stick window flashing (Bitumen) -it's sold in big home supply stores. apply to the case, people use it in their car doors all the time. make sure to use the rubber based bitumen one and Not the ashphalt based ones as they might smell a little when hot. car door metal can get very hot on summer day. anyway you can look up on car websites where tons of people recommend different brands for sound deadening easily available at large building supply store near windows since it's used when installing windows.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I'll definitely look into that. I wasn't aware this was common practice.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

you can also use Foam Lined, Foil Backed Duct Insulation which can handle a LOT of heat and has no smell. they use that to wrap heated ducts.

they do sell a self-stick version of duct insulation, but it will be silver color / not black.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Look at the Nanoxia Deep Silence case. you will see on the door panels they used a sheet of some type of self-stick bitumen rubber to make it more quite. theirs looks black. you can do this yourself.

ones in home improvement stores usually have a silver aluminum foil face, but there are a couple that look black on one side. if you are on a budget just get the cheapest one as long as it's 100% bitumen rubber. but if you care about looks you might not want the flashing that has all printing on it wit the company name.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Just to let you know there are zero AAA games on linux also please add a actually list, not just a overview

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm very aware of the lack of games available for Linux, but I'm happy with what's there. It's not like I can't install Windows at a later date anyway if I change my mind. And if the format of my post bothers you, I'll change it -^

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube