add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Guidasholiac

62 months ago

I have already posted before requesting opinions on my build, and having tweaked it in certain areas, I was hoping for an opinion on the edited version.

I am slightly on edge from the 2mm extra space my gpu gives for the drive bays, and also any extra parts I may need to get for decent cable management, or whether or not I need any thermal compound. I am in the process of asking about whether or not an update is needed on the BIOS on the motherboard.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/8xtwjX

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

A number of suggestions for you, I'm aware I've added £60 to the cost which you may not be willing to pay, but if one or two are helpful then good.

• the CPU cooler you have is ok, but the CM EVO is considerably superior
  • 990 chipset removes the concern of troublesome bios update, plus the blue pcb on this one would suit your build nicely
  • FX chips natively support 1866 memory
  • The GPU you have appears to have the AMD stock cooler which is awful, it will run hot and loud. The Sapphire Tri-X is very good, although not sure about the colouring of it
  • 600W PSU is going to be under heavy load, again getting hot and loud, 750W would suit better and give a bit of headroom for future upgrades
  • Why Windows 7? Microsoft have stated no more feature updates from early next year including the next version of DirectX

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor £73.20 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £24.97 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard £80.39 @ Scan.co.uk
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory £70.79 @ Aria PC
Storage Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £46.84 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £35.94 @ Aria PC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Tri-X Video Card £269.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Case NZXT H440 (Blue/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £84.99 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £62.71 @ Amazon UK
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) £71.60 @ Amazon UK
Monitor BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor £119.99 @ Amazon UK
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse £25.31 @ CCL Computers
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £966.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 03:24 GMT+0000
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Last thought, if you drop the 290x and get a 290 which will still max games at 1080p, gets you pretty much back on budget - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-1003622sr

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your opinion, I just heard that people prefer Windows 7, and as I am moving from Mac, I thought I'd go with that. It came to my attention before you posted that I'd need a better psu due to the 290x gpu, so I'm happy to make that change. My only concern is the gpu itself, although I know it is a good gpu, it will not fit in the case I have chosen at 305mm long, I need a maximum length of 294mm, do you know of any 290x or maybe even 290's if they are almost as good, that will fit both the length requirement, and possibly the colour scheme. Colour isn't really that important, but it's quite nice to have.

Thanks

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

The Gigabyte cards are shorter, they're just black http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr929wf34gd

Sapphire Vapor-X are black/blue, but are long cards http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100362vxsr

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Very good card, known for being noisy if that bothers you. Wouldn't need such a big PSU then either, they are more power efficient, 500-550W would be enough.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Would it benefit me to have the Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 over the Asus M5A97 R2.0

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube