add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need some input please!

DoubleWideGalaxy

62 months ago

This is my first build. I already have a HD, and plan on adding a SSD later. FYI...this is a going to be for gaming mostly. Also, need help picking an awesome case. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DoubleWideGalaxy/saved/qpQhP6

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Quite a few things here are overkill just for gaming. Do you mind telling me your budget and I can throw something together?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure that would be great! Keeping in mind that I was building to future proof my rig. The 1200 watt PSU bc I was thinking I might add more GPU in the future. My budget is around $1000 give or take. I would like this rig to last me at least 3-4 years if not more. Thank you!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Well your build was around $1200 already without the case, but I hope this is alright. If not, you can always take out one of the 970s and add it in later down the line.

I5 processor, because the i7 is really only if you're going to be editing, rendering, streaming and stuff like that.

Cheaper mobo because unless the one you picked had something specific you were after, this one will do just fine.

8gb of ram because it's all you really need for gaming. You can get the same specs in a different colour if that's something you care about, I just picked the cheapest ones that had reviews.

Stuck in an ssd that you can either get just now or when you have the money for it as a recommendation.

One 970 should run just about everything at 60+ fps, so two can be overkill, but it does help future proof it a bit.

Stuck in a case that I like, has great cable management options like most of fractal design's stuff.

Bumped down the psu to 750, should handle overclocking on the cpu and gpus just fine, but you can bump it higher if you want to be certain.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Are the 970 better than the 290x? Like I said I'm a first timer so I want to put my money on a winning horse. Lol. I think I'll stick with the i7 for now. It's only a few bucks more. I kind of fell in love with the mobo so I think I'll stick with that's as well, but I did reduce the PSU, and the RAM (I can always add more later. I'm kinda iffy about going with a mid range tower due to paranoia of over heating...so I think ill have to look into a full tower.

If you could help out with the GPU I'd appreciate it. With this build would you still stick with the 970s or not? Why?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FvCfkL

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

From benchmarks I've seen, the 970 is better, but you can always look for yourself and see if it's the case.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, do you think another cooling source will be necessary for the CPU? It comes with one already. Or are those usually worthless?

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

They're not totally worthless, but if you're going to be overclocking (which it seems you are, with the z97 chipset mobo and k cpu) then you really want a cpu cooler that isn't stock.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't plan on overclocking, but I want the option in case I change my mind down the road.

Thank you for all the help!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube