add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1st Gaming PC build, need opinions on the parts.

AtlYT

62 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gyd3dC Already bought the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and OS. Tell me your thoughts on the rest. I think I've picked the parts really well. This is my first build, and i'm only 14, so please point out what would be a better option for a cheaper price. Thanks for checking it out. The budget is 1,000-1100.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are not planning for SLI the PSU is over kill 650 watts will be enough .

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Solid build overall, nothing that really needs to be changed.

My only piece of advice or suggestion is that the Caviar Blue is a decent drive but if you want games to load faster and your PC to feel more responsive overall (including mind-blowing boot time), ditch the Caviar and grab an SSD like this one... http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct240m500ssd1

You can always add a 1TB drive later to use for pics/movies/music/docs/game files and keep that SSD for just OS and applications. That's pretty much the standard setup these days.

I would say that your 750W PSU is overkill but you may have plans to SLI that GTX970. That one is cheaper than some of the others with smaller wattage anyhow so just stick with it.

If swapping out the hard drive has you too close to budget, you can always pick a cheaper case unless you're partial to that one.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I think i'll stay with my HDD until they come out with more efficient SDD's. I'll switch my PSU, as i'm not planning on an SLI anytime soon, but I will get a second monitor. I can just use an HDMI splitter right? since thy GPU only has 1 HDMI and 1 DVI out. Or is a DVI to HDMI better? Anyways thanks for the advise.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

More efficient SSDs meaning better price/GB?

I think it would be better to just use an HDMI for one monitor and DVI for the other than to use splitter/adapter.

Also, like I mentioned, that 750W power supply is cheaper than 550/650W from the top brands and it's a well-rated one, why change to lower wattage and pay more?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh alright, It wouldn't effect the pc if it went up to 750W? SOrry, i'm new to PC builds. Does a DVI signal still carry a 1080p display? or would it be down scaled.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

HDMI - audio = DVI

750W just means the max amount of power available for your system to use, doesn't mean your system will automatically draw that much power and since you chose an 80+ Gold it's very efficient.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

So as long as the audio comes straight from the MOBO, it doesnt matter if it's HDMI or DVI. sounds good.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

And yeah more efficient meant better price/GB

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube