add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Trying to Build my First PC

Sephiroth4269

62 months ago

I've posted before and gotten some wonderful feedback. I have a few more ideas but I'm trying to figure out where does overkill start and high end gaming end. I have 4 builds in order of cost, not necessarily sure on the performance per dollar ratio (that's why I'm writing this post). I'm prepared to spend a decent amount of money on a PC that will need minimal upgrades over the next few years without going over the top right away. Potential upgrades would be filling up the video card slots, and maxing out the RAM, as the rest of the hardware should be sufficient the way it is. Also if this isn't enough, or too much I'd like to know with reasons why so I can learn more about hardware selection.

Anyway here are my perspective PC builds: pcpartpicker est. cost 1742.11 pcpartpicker est. cost 2164.21 pcpartpicker est. cost 2547.44 pcpartpicker est. cost 2642.17

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If I was you, I wouldn't do any of those. They all have wasted money in spots.

Try This: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $554.98 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $264.99 @ Amazon
Memory Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $284.99 @ Directron
Storage Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB 3.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive $209.00 @ B&H
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB DirectCU II Video Card $280.20 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case $134.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer $12.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $90.27 @ B&H
Wireless Network Adapter Edimax EW-7612PIn 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $20.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2003.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 13:25 EST-0500

You sill get your x99 and an amazing 290x... But money is invested only in places that you will notice it in your build.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $299.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI Z97-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $173.87 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $136.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $224.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $299.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $280.20 @ Newegg
Case Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $109.76 @ OutletPC
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $159.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer $12.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $90.26 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1962.01
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 14:22 EST-0500

You really, REALLY do not need a 2011-3 build unless you're going into some heavy video editing/3d modeling/rendering/etc territory. Games are just starting to use 4 cores so a huge amount of power/money is wasted on it. On top of that, it's still stupid expensive and really I don't see prices dropping on it until around next year when Intel Broadwell/Skylake hits

So I stuck ya with the i7-4790k. Has 8 logical cores via Hyperthreading so should definitely be enough for games and doing whatever the hell else like recording said games or streaming that stuff to twitch

Liquid Cooling to push your CPU far.. Real far. If my dinky Sandy-Bridge 2600k lasted 3-4 generations on a mild OC, the 4790 should be able to stick around for a good while on a nice OC.

And yes, the 1300W PSU is needed if you want to 2-way Crossfire though anything ~900W will do as well according to PCPP. Leaves enough room if you wanna jam another 290X in there later for 3-way crossfire

MSI Gaming 7, pretty good board that'll last you a long while. Has, like, 10 USB 3.0s on the back to just plug a bunch of crap in if you feel like it. Also has a M.2 SSD slot if you wanna use that later and has 8 SATA slots to jam more drives in there. Please note, this board only supports up to 3-way crossfire BUT that's already massively overkill with the GPU I've thrown in.

16GB is still quite a lot for gaming, even high end, but at least it'll give a bunch of breathing space for you to run a lot of things in the background

2 R9 290Xs, 'nuff said. AMD's current top GPU unless you really wanna spend $1K on the 295X.

256GB SSD for the OS and important programs and games you want to load fast, 4 TB of HDD space for everything else. Could probably do with less HDD space, but who doesn't want 4TB? That way you can keep a lot of game on-drive and not have to worry about reinstalling/redownloading every so often. I dunno, I just personally like having shittons of space available

I keep seeing a wired network card in your lists.. you don't need that; mobos these days come with an ethernet port. Wireless NICs/adapters are a different story, though

Don't really need a soundcard unless you either have a really nice set of speakers or a real nice headset or doing audio production (which usually includes either the speakers or headset)

Corsair C70 case, I've personally seen and handled one of these things and it feels pretty solid. Has nice airflow, some extra spots for more fans on the side (comes with 3 free fans; one on the back and 2 up near the front), and good cable management stuff as well. Has bonus handles up top for transportation :p

NOTE: only has support for up to 6 HDDs max, but you've got a 4TB drive on that list so you wont need to worry about that for a while; also seems like it can only really fit 2 GPUs so you can get a larger case if you want a 3rd one down the line (I could be wrong, though, and it fits 3 just fine)

Normal Windows 8.1 x64 will do you fine unless you really need the stuff Pro comes with

Best part? All under $2k.

How would I rate this? Still pretty much overkill, but more affordable overkill

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the explanations and logic behind these selections! I wasn't sure if this was something I even needed since I would probably have this bad boy hooked up to a LAN instead of wireless. But I wanted both options just in case.

*However not sure what a mobo is but presumably I was already covered on that end.

*I also thought I needed a sound card if I wanted to get any audio functions from my PC, is that not the case?

*I already have a surround sound system that has a JVC hook up are you saying that's all I need?

*As far as the other stuff is concerned, why is the Intel i7 5820 too much processor? I guess I don't know what's overkill for CPU's and what's not.

*The case on the other hand I picked simply because I liked the way it looked, no other reason.

*I also wasn't sure what the difference was between the OS so I just went with the better of the options available!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

*However not sure what a mobo is but presumably I was already covered on that end.

Ah, mobo is lingo for Motherboard

I also thought I needed a sound card if I wanted to get any audio functions from my PC, is that not the case?

It was back in ye olden times, but not any more! Motherboards come with on-board audio these days and it's pretty damn good

I already have a surround sound system that has a JVC hook up are you saying that's all I need?

You'd have to find something that allows the PC to take the JVC, none of the soundcards I can find on this site seem to support such a thing (unless I'm looking at the wrong pictures)

The case on the other hand I picked simply because I liked the way it looked, no other reason.

Hey, fair enough. Go get it if you want it :p

I also wasn't sure what the difference was between the OS so I just went with the better of the options available!

Pro may have more things, but its usually stuff most common consumers wouldn't use. I'd only go for it if you can get it cheaper than normal or if you can get an upgrade disk somewhere.

As far as the other stuff is concerned, why is the Intel i7 5820 too much processor? I guess I don't know what's overkill for CPU's and what's not.

Pretty much because nothing besides video editors/3d modelling programs/etc isn't going to use everything it has to offer. As I've said, games only now seem to be tapping into 4 cores so the 5820's 6 (12 via Hyperthreading) will mostly go unused for that kind of price a 2011-3 build usually comes with

The 4790k and its socket type still sits within a price range consumers can reasonably go after, IMO. It still falls to the same problem of the 5820 of games not fully utilizing it quite yet but at least you're not going to be spending a load of cash on the CPU, motherboard, and $200+ RAM.

In games, the i5-4690k is pretty much the top in price/performance on intel's side; the 4790k will perform just as well as it with perhaps minor gains. Granted, this'll change once games start eating 8 cores but we'll (hopefully) have much larger CPUs by then.

At this point though, the extra cores allow you to have more going on in the background with less of a performance hit; however if you have a program that can take advantage of all its cores then it will perform much, much better than if on the 4690k

NOTE: hyperthreading is essentially running 2 processing threads/core instead of the normal 1/core effectively doubling the amount of cores seen by the OS. Basically, the core can do 2 things at once instead of just 1 thing

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The JVC is a type of connection, usually the light green connector cord that is associated with the headphone picture (symbol) on the tower. other than that, that helps a lot with understanding why I should be picking certain things over others! Not to mention I can save money by not buying "additional" hardware pieces like sound cards, since I don't need them!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

usually the light green connector cord that is associated with the headphone picture

Oh, well if it's that then the motherboard has one of those

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, is JVC the hookup type or a brand name? All I keep getting are brands

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube