add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need opinions on this build

allyjim

62 months ago

So basically I'm trying to build a decent startup PC however I need more opinions and advice before I make my final decision on the parts. Used for gaming and everything obvious that everyone wants on their own computers.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/y9Kyyc

I'd like to be able to upgrade as time goes on and maybe add another monitor and graphics card etc. etc.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. 1300W is way more than that build is going to use, ever. Perhaps an 800W one at the most

2. What features of Win 7 Ultimate do you need? If it's just so you can use larger amounts of RAM, might as well get Win8.1 and save quite a bit. Considering you're just gaming, as you say, 8.1 will do well enough (without the 16 GB RAM limit imposed by Win 7 Home Premium)

3. With cash saved from 1 and/or 2, get a Z97 mobo

4. if just gaming, i5-4690k performs just as well

5. do you really need a blu-ray drive? I'm not trying to sound sarcastic or anything, but it's kinda pointless unless you're going to be using a lot of blu-ray disks on there

6. 8 GB of RAM is just fine for gaming builds

7. there a cheaper wifi adapters that will do just as well, like this or this or even this. Latter 2 don't even eat a PCI slot, second one can take advantage of USB 3.0

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Even with multiple graphics cards and monitors and overclocked? I tried out various calculators and they ranged from 500W-1200W so I struggled with that one.
  2. I'll consider changing to maybe Professional but I won't get 8.1, I can't stand it at all xD
  3. Done and done.
  4. Not just gaming, incredibly intensive programs and multitasking as well as gaming. I wanted to go one higher than all my friends.
  5. Blu-Ray is my life. Well it's not but I would be using this as a home cinema system which means blu-ray is essential as it also upscales dvds, this particular one has a generally better read/write speed than the others.
  6. This'll be better than just fine which is what my aim is XD
  7. Thankyou kindly, chose the 3.0 one.

Thanks very much for your feedback :)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Yes. I even SLI'd your stuff here on the site and even then it only eats about 511W (under 100% load from all components, mind you)

I'll consider changing to maybe Professional but I won't get 8.1, I can't stand it at all xD

B-but, the optimizations and general speed improvements that comes with an improved codebase!

Yeah, I get yah.. :p

Not just gaming, incredibly intensive programs and multitasking as well as gaming. I wanted to go one higher than all my friends.

This'll be better than just fine which is what my aim is XD

Ah, a show-off build eh? Friends will be jelly (though the CM Storm is prolly gonna be a hefty SoB to move around).

Blu-Ray is my life. Well it's not but I would be using this as a home cinema system which means blu-ray is essential as it also upscales dvds, this particular one has a generally better read/write speed than the others.

Aight, so long as it's getting some use ya know?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hahahahaha hmmmmmmm, professional or 8.1? I guess I'm gonna have to try it out at some point :P

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/rcbnwP

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Really, 8.1 isn't that bad. The Metro stuff over the traditional start menu takes a bit to get over, but you can just simply hit your windows key and search for what you want and it'll usually come up pretty quickly.. Then you eventually get in the flow of it

Else, just make a 'Shortcuts' folder on the desktop and throw all your shortcuts in there :p

Better than trying to navigate a bunch of damn start menu folders, IMO, but the new Windows is trying to bring it back by combining the Win7 menu with the Win8.1 menu

Anyhow, all programs/games I've tried work just as well as in Win7, some games actually had small (1-3) FPS gains, and general RAM usage by the OS is lower

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Well...I guess Windows 8.1 it is then...maybe xD

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Sweet setup but yeah go with Windows 8.1

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube