add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
p2ranger

61 months ago

Making my first Pfsense build (turns computer into router)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q6dNWZ

Is there any incompatibilities with the build that I have over looked?

I realize that an i5 and 16 G of Ram are overkill, but I want to make sure it will handle 1G speeds plus filtering and anything else for several years.

Thanks

Jason

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

That is more than overkill. PFSense takes up almost no RAM altogether and doesn't require much processing power. A PFSense box (which can handle anything and all for years on end) will run very well on a cheap passive SOC. If you're looking for an extremely versatile and upgradeable PFSense box, I recommend going with something on the AM1 platform or either the J1800, J1850, J1900, J2900 by Intel.

Here's what I came up with in a few minutes: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XPdNWZ It may be ugly, but it will serve you well for years on end and it would run PFSense like a dream. I'm sure it would handle 10gig speeds fine if you ever decide to put a 10g card in there. Now personally, I would go with a micro ATX form factor so you can add in more networking cards or a raid controller or whatnot, but I stuck with mITX for the list above. Additionally, for both your list and my list, you would need to use the included low-profile bracket with the Ethernet card, in case you weren't aware.

Hope I helped :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube