add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming PC Opinion/Suggestions wanted

Prominia

62 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Prominia/saved/B6Qqqs

This will be my second build primarily used for gaming. My last one being around 5-6 years ago. I understand that I could probably SLI two GPU for a better price, but i am not comfortable doing that, as I am unfamiliar with how to. I also understand I probably don't need 8 gb of ram, but i would like 8 gb anyway. Also on a side note I was wondering if i could take my current ssd/hybrid drive, and completely wipe them and add them on to my new build. I am planning on building a new pc after the new year.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

For sli, all you really need to do is use a connector that comes with your mobo and connect the two cards then change some settings in your control panel, there's tons of guides on how to do it.

For gaming, it's actually recommended that you have 8gb of ram, so no worries there.

You don't need the thermal paste as the corsair h100i comes with some preapplied.

As for the gpu, I think saying it's overkill would be an understatement. As far as I know, the card is meant to run 4k at 60hz, which is just way more than you need with a single 1080p monitor, you'd really be better going for sli 970s.

You should be able to wipe your hybrid drive, there'll be guides you can look up on how to do that too.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you experience any downside, as in tearing in games or not getting the full functionality in games when using 2 gpus? That really is my only concern. Like some games when they come out dont always support sli, and i would have to wait for a fix or something. Also is it also possible to wipe the ssd? With my current build i thought that my current cooler which is like an i80 had thermal paste and my cpu still overheated.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

As far as I'm aware, sli doesn't effect screen tearing positively or negatively, I believe that's purely a monitor thing, so you might want to look into a gsync capable monitor if that's something you have issues with. Some games won't make full use of sli, but it shouldn't make the game run any worse, but in the case that it does I'm pretty sure you can just disable the second card the way you enabled it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright thanks for the help

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I would take out that GPU and get a i7-4790k, 16 gigs of ram, and the 980.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

From what i read the i7 has no real benefits with gaming. I currently have an i7-920 and it does run a little bit warmer than the i5 series.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I know it doesnt have that much benefits for gaming but eventually it will. And with all the money you are putting in the GPU it seems kind of pointless unless you plan on running multiple monitors at 4k. For a single 1080p all you need is at maximum a 980/970 SLI you could even get by with a single 970 oc'ed to run like a 980.

i7 +16 gigs of ram> uber expensive 4k gpu

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I am thinking of doing what xalian said and will probably duo gpu. Maybe upgrade to the i7, but i think 16gb of ram would be overkill for now and can always order more later. Thanks for the reply.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem yeah SLI is always nice and the good thing is you can start out with only one card then just buy the second one when you are ready.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hybrids are horrible just go regular. Other wise everything looks great but I would swap the ssd for an intel 240g ssd 730

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks for the feedback. I Already have a hybrid that i will wipe and get a regular hd with that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube