add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Brandino312

62 months ago

I'm stuck between the AMD vs. Intel thing for my build I am doing for christmas. I plan to play games like... Arma 3, Skyrim, Rust, Civ 5, and possibly far cry 4. I plan on high settings on one monitor with a good price to performance ratio(gotta keep it cheap). I also enjoy watching some youtube videos while I game. but no major multitasking. I have already bought the r9 280 and windows 8. Also I am having a 120gb SSD given to me. Which build do you think would do better in current games? And what is yours thoughts about how long the builds would last and which would you choose?

1. AMD- Plan to overclock but not directly after build. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Brandino312/saved/Vm7ypg

2. Intel- Overclocking only if needed later on. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Brandino312/saved/tCMmP6

Any suggestions welcome!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

intels better, especially in games like farcry and arma where multicores are used, as intel has stronger cpu cores, technically quad core intels are 8 cores, 4 real cores and 4 virtual it is true that amd has 8 real cores but they are weak and ineficient

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

For both, get a 750w psu. Over clocking will need alot more power.

You said arma 3, which is VERY cpu demanding. The Intel will handle it better, and an over clock will help. That's a 280 though, so it might not matter much as the gpu will be stressed alot too in that game. I run a 4670k and 280x, which can't fully max that game on 1080p with 60fps. The cpu is fine, but a higher end gpu is needed for the best results.

Overall though, Intel will be better in games as it consistently beats the amd in minimum fps, which means less jerkyness on intense moments.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

i could max arma 3 on a radeon 7750 and core i5 3570k, then i upgraded to a 4670k and newer gpu and i have absolutely no issues.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Bro. I just recently built the AMD build you picked out (parts are pretty much same).

Here

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

I would recomend getting the MSI 970 gaming motherboard instead though. This one doenst have usb 3 headers for front pannel usb 3 on case... whoops!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

How was you framerate in current games?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Haven't got any games on it yet :/ - will do soon.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually - Minecraft only got 60FPS but apparently that's because Minecraft doesn't run the best on AMD Cpu Also running dirt three and the built in benchmark to that gave me an average of 110 FPS so maybe do some research about games you'll be playing and CPUs with them. :)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If you won't be overclocking, take the i5 4690 instead of the i5 4690K.

If you go with the AMD and won't be overclocking, grab an FX-8350 instead of the FX-8320.

If you will be overclocking on the Intel build, get a CPU cooler for that, as well. If you won't be overclocking, neither build will need an aftermarket CPU cooler as long as you stay away from OEM versions.

Honestly, you pay around $50 more for the Intel build, so I'd say go with that, but get a better motherboard. I'm not confident that it'll have the same functionality as the AMD board. I recommend this one: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xud3hbk . It's the same as the ATX Gaming 5, but $10 cheaper.

So, with the Intel build, you'll end up paying around $100 more in total. It's a premium for performance, but if it's in your budget, I would recommend it.

• 62 months ago
  • 0 points

I'm an Intel fanboy but go with whatever you feel is best and fits your budget

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube