add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming/HTPC for around US$1200 - First Build

anthonydnewell

62 months ago

PCPartPicker part list: http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/dnHvmG

I'm trying to put together a HTPC for the TV that can be used for gaming instead of buying a PS4. Just a few things I'm not sure on (as this is my first time building a computer).

1. I choose the CPU because it was low wattage (less heat/noise). Am i losing much in the way of performance when i chuck a game on?

2. Is the GPU suitable?

3. Should I go for one 8GB stick of ram and upgrade to 16GB in the future or is 2x4GB sweet?

I will be picking up a xbox controller and probably a logitech harmony remote too.

Any help is appreciated as i'm stepping into the unknown with this.

PCPartPicker part list: http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/dnHvmG Price breakdown by merchant: http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/dnHvmG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590S 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($281.74 @ PB Technologies) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Computer Lounge) Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Mighty Ape) Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($121.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($320.84 @ PB Technologies) Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($228.85 @ PB Technologies) Case: Silverstone ML07B HTPC Case ($114.00 @ Paradigm PCs) Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($221.58 @ Wiseguys) Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($209.00 @ PC Force) Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A ULN 120mm Fan ($38.50 @ Ascent Technology) Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A ULN 120mm Fan ($38.50 @ Ascent Technology) Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A ULN 120mm Fan ($38.50 @ Ascent Technology) Total: $1912.45 Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-16 20:14 NZDT+1300

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

The i5-4690K is a better processor for $60 less, and it's unlocked, so you can overclock if need be.

You're spending a lot of money on the SSD. You can get a 1TB WD Blue drive for $50. If you really want the speed of the SSD, fine. If you'd rather save money, go with a normal HDD.

a $220 PSU (Poser Supply)? I honestly can see no reason for that. There are plenty 80+ Gold and eve Platinum PSUs for MUCH less than $220.

You can save about $35 of the case if you don't mind getting it in black from Newegg here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163256

Other than that, this looks really nice, and I'd be excited to see how it works for you.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

The i5-4690K is a better processor for $60 less

Not in OP's country, it isn't

Those NZ prices, man

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I agree on the 4590K. Also thinking of the MSI 970 Gaming GPU as well. Things are getting carried away ;)

Buying the gear in HK and saw at the computer centre the new 500W PSU which is much cheaper and quieter which should be cool. From what i can gather 500W should be enough even with the upgraded CPU and GPU.

Was thinking a big SSD mainly because there's no noise but you make a good point. Still undecided on that atm.

Thanks for the comments. I'll let ya now how i get on.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube