add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will a 500w PSU support this build?

Muttinsnord
  • 64 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MmJFxr I want to make completely sure before I build this computer that the PSU is completely sufficient. I do plan on over clocking and I do not really want to cut it close. Thanks for the help

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Its recommended to have a minimum PSU of 500W for that card, without OCing. Plus, you're PSU is tier 3 which is not recommended for serious OCing.

I'm confused why you are getting a 3rd gen CPU and LGA1155 mobo and 3 sticks of RAM instead of 2 or 4. Do you already have some of the parts?

If not, check this out (much better and also cheaper): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fdxZrH If you get the processor and mobo at microcenter you get another $40 off that.

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for the answer. And to answer your question yes I already do have some of the parts. Im scavenging the ram from my old computer and that is why I have 3 sticks of ram. And also from your 750 watt psu I'm assuming that I should grab a little more wattage. Thanks for the reply and the suggestions!

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

A 600W PSU would probably be plenty, but decent 750W PSUs are often cheaper than decent 600W PSUs.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool. Thanks again for the suggestions.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya, as he said, 750w is often cheaper... Its odd, but true.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

You could (and many people do) run that card on a 430W PSU (the Corsair CX430 is very popular). A lot of people over estimate how much wattage you need in a PSU, not that getting a higher one is a bad thing. Just make sure it's good quality, with at least an 80+ Bronze rating to ensure dependability.

Your choice (also a Corsiar CX series) will do just fine even when overclocking. CX are far from the best, but you don't need the best and I'm sure the budget price tag wasn't fooling anybody anyway.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd rather Get the XFX 550 it's Made by Seasonic and has 45 amps and 528w on +12 rail it can acctually SLI two GTX 980s and it's only 62$ on newegg.

The CX version is made by CWT it's not bad but it's nothing special either. It has only 38 Amps on +12 rail and can only support up to 456w on +12 rail. As you can see much lower than XFX 550w.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Anyone who slis 980s on a 550w is just asking for it...

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Not really if it's quality PSU it can handle it just fine. Please educate your self on how much power does 2x 980s consume.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_980_sli_review,4.html

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Educate yourself on not only the specs and benchmarks, but also on proper system building and electrical component choice for safe and efficient building... This should be on at least a 750w for those 2 cards... http://www.eteknix.com/testing-nvidias-geforce-gtx-980-4gb-graphics-cards-sli/16/

Rookie mistakes cost money in this game.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

The fact that you just spilled out 750w just shows how educated you are.

On the link your self posted was tested with a complete setup with Core i7 4960X processor which has at stock a TDP of 130w. The watts mesured was in full stress test and something a normal usage won't achive.

We are here talking about i5 with a TDP of 77watts.

Measured power consumption GTX 980

System in IDLE = 119 Watts
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 280 Watts
Difference (GPU load) = 161 Watts
Add average IDLE wattage ~10 Watts
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 171 Watts

Measured power consumption GTX 980 2-way SLI

System in IDLE = 123 Watts
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 446 Watts
Difference (GPU load) = 316 Watts
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 332 Watts

Measured power consumption GTX 980 3-way SLI

System in IDLE = 129 Watts
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 589 Watts
Difference (GPU load) = 460 Watts
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 470 Watts

That is tested with "i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E based setup on the X79 chipset platform stock 130TDP. This setup is overclocked to 4.60 GHz on all cores"

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_980_sli_review,4.html

Agean the build is about i5 a 77w TDP procesor that even when it's OCed won't get as high TDP as OCED i7-3960X and average user won't stress both gpu and cpu 100% no game does that. The PSU XFX 550 would be probobly at 80% which for load isn't ideal thats why most will recommend 700w PSU becuase at 700w of quality PSU the load of PSU is only maybe around 50%. But thats not my post about at all, like i said a XFX 550 can run two 980s with proper cpu since it has 528 watts on +12 rail, efficency is other thing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube