add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Totally-treating-myself gaming, graphic design, video editing, etc. rig. Feedback appreciated.

Ofalling

62 months ago

My second (or second-and-a-half) build. Upgrading from a PC I built that I've had for way too many years who became known as Old Faithful and then Frankenfaithful when I kept swapping things out.

This one's definitely meant to be a dream rig, but not TOO over-the-top pricey, and quite future-proofed. Or at least near-future-proofed. I've got a lot of spare cash at the moment, but am looking at what'll be cheapest longterm, for when I don't.

As such, I debated a lot between say, the 5930K and a 58-, or the 980 GTX and the 970, as the improvements are so small compared to how much the price jumps. My eventual conclusion was that the lifespan of the higher-end ones will be longer. Especially with like... 4-way SLI if needed down the line.

The plan is to add another SSD and another GPU soonish, and possibly more down the line, hence the over-the-top PSU. EDIT: Oh, also more memory.

Looking mostly for any glaring flaws, as well as possible opinions on better choices, or whatever ya like, really.

Cheers.

P.S. Frakking hell, I love that I found this site. Takes SO much of the headache out of things. Lets ya get to the fun! Made me offer to build PCs for like everyone I know.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $554.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $106.98 @ SuperBiiz
Thermal Compound Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste $6.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $462.87 @ NCIX US
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $194.98 @ Newegg
Storage Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $100.98 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $129.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card $559.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair Air 540 Silver ATX Mid Tower Case $129.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $169.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) $128.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2561.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-16 22:40 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you're planning on 4-way SLI 980s (which is pointless to begin with), you're not going to need that huge a PSU

Especially with like... 4-way SLI if needed down the line.

oh, there it is.. Still, the gains vs price at that point are ridiculously minuscule.

Solid build either way

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha, yeah the 4-way SLI... almost certainly never gonna happen. Mostly I went with that PSU for the platinum rating, and just being super safe about it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, upside is that if you ever switch to crossfire AMD GPUs at any point then it'll help a bit as those tend to eat much more power (believe a single 290 eats about 300W at the most)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube