add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

need some (mobo) feedback for 1st build

swanky_gamer

62 months ago

hello all, i am build a gaming pc with a $500 USD budget and i got everything except the mobo. here's my list http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QBgTNG

so i'm debating between the asus m5a97 r2.0 (non LE version), the asus m5a99x evo and pro version AND the asus m5a78l.

Now i would like to add that: 1. i can live without crossfire or sli. 2. i want to be able to overclock and make sure the mobo does a great job at handling all that. 3. in the future when i upgrade, i might switch to intels i5 4690k or something with similar performance but not sure unless i can't get anything worth upgrading for in AMD's cpu.

taking all this into consideration, which mobo would you pick/recommend ?

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Asus M5A78L - won't be able to overclock much, if at all with that chipset

Asus M5A97 R2.0 - runs the risk of needing a bios update, need to check with seller that it will support the CPU out of the box. If it does then good motherboard, can overclock.

Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 - good motherboard, better chipset, can overclock.

I'd pick the last one, first one does not meet your requirements, second one is only $8 cheaper than the last. No motherboard will support AMD and Intel CPU's, you always have to replace the motherboard when switching.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

id go with intel personally to start with, amd processors never really get the job done.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for your reply tel!

ok so the m5a78L is out of the question. now, price wise: what's a better deal? the m5a97 PRO 2.0 at $80 or cheaper or the EVO at $103? both USD

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a larger price difference than I was seeing on here, as you do not intend to crossfire/sli, and assuming you can confirm the bios is updated to take the FX chip, then I'd get the cheaper M5A97.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

the reason i was saying $80 for the m5a97 is because when it was on sale around black friday, it was priced that low but i failed to capitalize on it. and regarding the mobo, it can be updated no prob. thanks for taking the time to reply bro.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube