add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

need help picking the right mobo please

swanky_gamer
  • 66 months ago

hello all, i am build a gaming pc with a $500 USD budget and i got everything except the mobo. here's my list http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QBgTNG

so i'm debating between the asus m5a97 r2.0 (non LE version), the asus m5a99x evo and pro version AND the asus m5a78l.

Now i would like to add that: 1. i can live without crossfire or sli. 2. i want to be able to overclock and make sure the mobo does a great job at handling all that. 3. in the future when i upgrade, i might switch to intels i5 4690k or something with similar performance but not sure unless i can't get anything worth upgrading for in AMD's cpu.

taking all this into consideration, which mobo would you pick/recommend ?

Comments

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Seeing as you have $37.32 left in your budget, I would get this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga78lmtusb3 which saves $8 as a combo deal with that CPU, just sliding in under your budget.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

oh my mistake i didn't clarify. i do not mind going over as long as price/ performance ratio is very good. i have come down to the conclusion that i will be getting either the m5a97 PRO 2.o or the m5a99x EVO which i can get for $95 and $103 respectively at the moment. (both USD) now i believe most will pick the EVO but what if i find the m5a97 PRO 2.0 at $80 or less? would it still be a better buy to get the evo?

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm never one to spend a lot on motherboards, honestly. I don't see the value in spending a lot, because I never use the features. As long as it does what you need it to do, which is usually just have enough slots at the right speed, then it should be fine. What do those board you listed do that the Gigabyte boards don't?

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

well although i agree to a certain extent, i just saw the ram speeds the gigabyte handles and i don't see 1600 (which is what i have). also no sata 6 speeds and no crossfire support (this is no deal breaker as i don't plan to have dual cpu). now since i plan to overclock, i think it's safe to say that the 960g chipset (which is what the gigabyte ga78L and the asus m5a78L have) will bottleneck the cpu. that is why i'm torn between the m5a97 and the evo as they are more than capable of handling OCing

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely worth it in this case. A 990FX board has a vastly improved power delivery system, allowing much better overclocking.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Go for the M5A99X EVO. It's the better board easily.

[comment deleted]
  • 66 months ago
  • -1 points

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YyDbdC

Chk this list ... Try MSI or Gigabyte.

Intel 438$ PC

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QfTbdC

• 66 months ago
  • 2 points

this are all very unbalance builds. a FX-6300 with a gtx 970 and 16 gigs of ram, no need for 16 gigs for gaming and the fx-6300 WILL bottleneck the 970.. a locked i3 with a Z97 mobo.

• 66 months ago
  • 0 points

He can try AMD R9 290x and we don't know what amt of ram will games use in near future as COD and BF jumped from 2gb ram to 6gb ram and other game developers are following it too.so I guess 16 GB is good buy.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, with a $500 budget he's going to get an R9 290X. And then just look at it and blow the fans with his own breath for excitement, because he can't afford the rest of a computer...

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

He can wait till AMD 390 series release in February and then price of all high end GPU will come down.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not going to drop colossally. Even if it drops $100, it's still not going to make sense with a $500 budget. You don't know what you're on about.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for reply but i plan on sticking with asus, they seem to be the most reliable brand in my eyes for now.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube