add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Hey guys/gals! Looking for some input on this build.

Sephrinx

62 months ago

So I'm working on a new build for myself, I want to keep it under the ~900 price range. I'm going to give my current PC to a friend who is on hard times who had his pc recently pooped out on him.. Poor guy had just built a 1400 rig with his tax returns, than maybe like, a month later had to sell it for 800.

Anyway, these are the current parts I have selected.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor $169.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $54.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $116.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $120.98 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 270X 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $229.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $65.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply OCZ Fatal1ty 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $84.99 @ Newegg
Other PNY Optima 120GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive $56.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $875.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-17 10:00 EST-0500

I really don't want to go over 900-950 if possible, if you think something is on the low end and it's worth throwing in another 40-50 bucks, I'll consider it with much thought.

Going for a liquid cooling system for the cpu. I wanted to get the Cooler Master V8 - but that thing is the size of Mt Everest and I don't think it would fit in my case without looking completely ridiculous. If only it were smaller. A friend of mine used it in his build and it looks super sexy.
>> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HXPxkL <<

As for the SSD - It's a low storage amount, but it's only going to be for my OS and some games. I have a 500gb hdd that I currently am using and it's doing great, I've had it for about 3 years and it still has 180gb of space on it, and probably half of the used space is just trash that I really could do without. I was originally only going to get an 80gb or so SSD - but it's like 30 dollars more for double the storage - so why not, right?

CPU - From the reviews people are saying that in order to get the most out of it, you need to OC it. As I'm only really going to be using this pc for Video Games, mainly MMO's such as WoW, SW:ToR, and various other games which aren't really very intense, such as Path of Exile, League of Legends, various Steam games... I do some photo shop work and some light video editing, but nothing heavy. I am also considering the AMD FX-8350 - as it's a bit cheaper than the i5. I know that it has 'weaker' per core output, but also more of them. It would also require to swap out to a different MoBo. What are your thoughts?

What I really am wanting to know, is about the CPU - and which would be preferred. Either the i5 or the AMD. The AMD is much cheaper, and allows me to have more wiggle room for things like my GPU and RAM. I'm honestly not sure which would be my best bet. I have read that certain components don't function as well with Windows 8. Things like fan speeds for instance. If anyone is aware of issues like this I'd like to know as well! I've been digesting this build fully for about a week now and think I've been able to narrow it down to a pretty rendition of its final form.

Anything else you want to say or any advice is greatly welcomed, and I thank you for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

8GB RAM should be plenty for what you're doing (I'd get it pretty soon if you choose it.. it's on sale until the 22nd)

Also bumped you to a 290x

80+ Gold, fully modular PSU for ~$5 more

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor $169.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $54.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $116.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB DirectCU II Video Card $290.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $65.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ NCIX US
Other PNY Optima 120GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive $56.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $932.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-17 10:02 EST-0500

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube