add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

White X99 build, I need opinions.

obamadontcare0905

62 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $579.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Swiftech H240-X 90.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $169.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $386.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $399.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $399.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $469.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $78.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital WD VelociRaptor 1TB 2.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive $189.00 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital WD VelociRaptor 1TB 2.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive $189.00 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case $179.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $169.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor Acer B326HK YMJDPPHZ 60Hz 32.0" Monitor $916.98 @ Directron
Case Fan Corsair SP140 49.5 CFM 140mm Fans $25.21 @ Amazon
Fan Controller NZXT Sentry LX Fan Controller $46.98 @ OutletPC
Other NZXT Hue LED $49.99
Other BitFenix White Sleeved Cables $79.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $4338.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-17 12:10 EST-0500

This is going to be my new build for gaming, rendering, editing, recording and reddit. I want to max 4k on Ultra, and eventually move to 8k, (two monitors.) Obviously, I have no graphics cards, since I am waiting for the new AMD and Nvidia releases, (980ti's, 990's or 390x's). I build a little Z97, i5 and 970 build earlier, and I am giving it to my brother for Christmas. I was thinking about a liquid cooling loop, but I am just not familiar enough with the proper/good brands for everything. For the Monitor suggestions are great, but I NEED ips, since I can not stand the look of a TN panel, and of course it needs to be 4K.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

NOTE: I'm the kind of guy to try and reduce costs while keep/increase performance; if you don't care about costs then disregard everything I say until I get to whether the build is good or not

I know you're trying to keep to the white buuuut

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f42666c15q32grr

Much cheaper RAM, lower CAS timing with same speeds, leaves 4 RAM slots open if you wanna go 64GB one day for whatever insane reason

Alternatively,

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-x99a

Cheaper board, same tier as the one you've chosen but you loose 2 SATAs, still white

Either way, it's a pretty damn solid build (sans GPU) yet something about it just feels.. off to me

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks man, I will probably change the motherboard, about the RAM, for some reason, I have always want Dominator RAM. It just looks so cool, and I figured why not. Something feels weird, I agree, but I believe it to be the GPUs missing, or maybe it is that I have never build anything but red and black!

Thanks a lot!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Sharks incoming :D

When OP builds come into this section... Some people love to comment, me included. Great feedback awaits you!

So, time to get serious (and sorry for being kind of methodical, but I foolishly lost 40 lanes worth of content because of accidentally backspacing when I shouldn't:

You've chosen the i7-5930K. There's pretty much only one reason that people choose 5930K over 5820K: PCI-e lanes. Unless you are going to 4-way SLI them, I don't see any point of going 5930K.

2nd problem: Motherboard slots for 4-way SLI. No brainer, since you will eventually replace the motherboards.

3rd problem (with salt): Recent rumour suggest that Bermuda (AMD) will beat Nvidia by a fair margin. Which is alright, except for one thing: AMD has a tendency of wanting to watercool that GPU. If that means 4x120mm rads just for your GPU, that's kind of a problem.

4th problem: PSU is excellent, but... You will be overclocking the **** out of everything. With 3/4 GPUs with around 200/250W of consumptions (if rumours are correct). You are going to overclock your memory. 860W suddenly looks tiny imo.

5th problem: At this rate, you might be forced to create a custom loop. EK has a wonderful site with organised content, so you can start over there (I'm not saying you need to buy their thigns, but they will give you an idea what you might need). So... I'm expecting you to only loop your CPU and GPU, leaving the mobo and DIMMs alone (you didn't really choose a higher tier of DIMMS, so...). In my opinion, it will be easier to work with 120mm rad family than 140mm. That means your fan will probably be 120mm. Ah, btw, you can choose a high performance one, I think the corsair ones have the only difference of undervolting the quiet ones.

So... Main problems kind of solved (in my perspective). Of course, I will need your feedback before commenting further, mainly regarded what you really want to achieve.

I'll be back later,

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I always love to comment when there is a big build too, and help out. I feel like this build needs it's own thread because even though I would consider myself relatively experienced with parts and build, I am SUPER nervous about this one...

The main thing I want to achieve is being able to do anything I want, (games, editing, etc.) with two 4k monitors.

The reason I chose the i7-5930k is I live right by a Microcenter and they are very cheap there, so I figured it would be worth it, and I may go 4-way SLI/Crossfire, unless the dual GPU cards are very good.

My bad on the PSU, I will change it to at least 1000watt, that 860 was for a 2-way 980's, that i was considering!

I think the custom loop is the only choice, since I really want to overclock intensely (for optimum performance at 2x4k) , and I need it to be very cool.

One question, is the liquid in the loop available in white?

Thanks a lot, you really helped!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

2x4K monitors, I think the new cards will be able to handle them.

The way I see it, you should install the entire loop after you bought your GPUs (I never have done it before, so it might be a n00b suggestion). And you could grab a spare cooler in home, run it until you get your entire loop.

I'm sure that there's white coolant available, FrozenCPU is a great site to check.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot man, you really helped, a custom just seemed to hard before.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube