add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Work and gaming PC, opinions welcomed

themightyant

61 months ago

Hi, this will be my first full build and I am looking for some advice or alternative suggestions. Generally trying to find the sweet spot between prince and performance and begin overclocking lightly.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/themightyant/saved/jYw8TW

I already own the memory, hard drives and monitors from my previous rig, the rest is to buy.

The plan would be to first start with one GTX 970 and then if necessary move to 2 in SLi as well as upgrading the memory in the future.

The system will be used both for work (web and graphic design) as well as gaming.

What I don't know.

• Case - any other good suggestions?

• Memory - will this older slower memory perform massively differently to newer faster memory? If so any suggestions?

• Power Supply - I have chosen a 650W Modular power supply as I would expect to expand this to 2 x 970's in SLi in due course.

• Motherboard - Any other good Sli compatible Z97 suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

looks good, I would go with it

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

You kinda messed up on the ram, you always should buy the EXACT same brand/model/make of ram so it can run in dual or quad channel. Your case is good.Your PSU is good but not big enough to overclock the CPU and 2 GTX 970's, heres a good one. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g10750xr I also would get a G1 windforce GTX 970 becoming they can overclock the highest.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestions. Re: Second pair of RAM, I already own it from previous PC it's not something I bought so I might think of matching another 8gb. I'll look at the PSU and GPU you suggested.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I have now looked at the G1 windforce and it looks like the king! updated parts list, thank you.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Would change ur ram up to 8gb before gpu. As games become more demanding/worse optimized 8gb is generally the sweetspot for gaming.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply, there is 12GB on the list. 2x2Gb and 2x4Gb But as vagabond pointed out it is unmatched. These are both from my current system

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube