add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
rlinares

62 months ago

Hello PCpp,

Here is a build I created with a few things in mind.

1.- Provide entertainment. That is to play movies and some gaming. 2.- Function as a NAS 3.- Be expandable on demand. More storage space, more ram space, more GPU space. 4.- Compact. Money effective.

Here is what I came up with:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mK4Df7

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want an expandable system, why are you building it in a MicroATX form factor? You won't be able to add much in the future. Also, I would recommend a different type of RAM, considering the one you chose has a CAS latency of 9. The lower the CAS, the faster the RAM is. Although it is not a huge factor in speed, it does help. I would recommend G.Skill RAM since they are compatible across several systems, have great speed and reliability, and come in several different colors so it can match your build for almost any color scheme.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, the MicroATX choice is due to the fact that I like the SFF and I really like the case. A miniITX was simply not expandable at all but with this Micro ATX I can add up to 5 HD drives, 1 optical, and 1 M.2.

I may, to start, get rid of the SSD and go for an M.2.

The MOBO also allows for another GPU in SLI and I doubt that I will ever need a 3rd but I may need a 2nd.

Also, with this MOBO I could expand up to 32 GB, same as an equivalent ATX architecture.

I do agree about the RAM.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You're right that you can fit multiple GPUs on the MOBO, however they might not physically fit, and you might cause a bottleneck if you put one on a lower powered PCI slot. Otherwise, yeah, you're all set.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The gpu does NOT allow sli. It allows crossfire. Would also get measurements on the psu as some dont fit into smaller cases.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

What? It allows up to 3-way SLI. Doesn't it?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-strixgtx970dc2oc4gd5

That's what it says in newegg but I don't see any confirmation in the ASUS website.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The motherboard doesnt support my bad haha wrote it when i woke up.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

And right you are. I went for that board because of the integrated wireless. Expandable is more important than wireless to me so I switched to this

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-maximusviigene

Per people's suggestions the build is looking like this now:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/rlinares/saved/drP9TW

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

This MOBO also has an M.2 port and 2 extra SATAs

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not really seeing the point of overclocking an i5 with 240M. I mean, liquid cooling is fine, but you don't really need it to get an i5 to 5GHz (if anybody has done it). I personally use the 240M but it's the thing where I don't know how much will you overclock. It doesn't really make sense in your build, you want something compact, and seidons are kind of the not compact... (imo)

Going with 840EVO might be a good idea too... and the PSU Is too overkill. You only need at most 650W (everything included), since you will be sticking to micro atx anyways.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I was indeed thinking of overclocking. I picked that cooler since it is the largest that fits and it is reasonably priced. But indeed I may not get it. I'll think about further.

The PSU I chose in the case I decide to add more GPUs and storage. I just don't want to replace the PSU when I expand the system. Again, the cost in marginally larger than a 650W.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

He's right, an 800W is overkill. You probably won't EVER need that. You can save over $100 and still get a perfectly fine 650W PSU, and still have room to upgrade.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Realistically speaking, 16 PCI-e lanes will limit you to 2 970s even of you go for more lanes. On that basis, upgrading might not be possible after all after 650W

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You guys are definitely right about 800 W being too much. A max capacity system (all slots for storage, GPUs and everything else used) would draw less than 600W.

Thank you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube