add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Exploosh

61 months ago

My max, top-of-the-line budget is $600. It's currently down to about $535 or $550 if I add a CPU cooler (probably will add it just to be safe, not planning on overclocking). I'm trying to leave some money in this build just in case I need to buy anything else soon or maybe get a new mouse/keyboard.

*CPU- I prefer the 6-core FX 6300 simply for it being 6 cores and having some flexibility with what I can do on it. (I'd like to get into some small 3D design or something of that nature, and I figured it's great for gaming according to a lot of people I've talked to, and it's cheap). Is the 860k a better option?

*Motherboard- This is the one thing I'm not good at choosing. I just have no idea about the benefits of each one. The max I'm looking to spend on one is $70, and that's only if the budget allows it.

*Memory- 1866 RAM is preferable for me. Mostly because it's almost always about the same price as 1600 RAM, so I figured, why not? I know it will probably drop in price when the sales hit.

*Storage- Tempted to throw in 2TB for about $20-$30 more, but I know I won't need it so 1TB is plenty.

*GPU - Every review on this card I've seen people have said it can run games at max graphics, or at least high-ultra, even the newest games. (I'm mostly interested in playing Skyrim/Fallout maxed out with a lot of mods). I really want a 280x and I know that during the sales it might drop under $200 which is what I'm hoping. If it hits $170 ish again that would be awesome.

*Case - Looked kinda cool and seems to have no compatibility issues. (I'd like some help/advice for choosing one though. I want the best bang for my buck and my budget on it is $50.

*Power Supply - I wanted to go with something at least +80 Bronze and 200 watts over the needed amount. Also heard that Fractal is good quality.

Please let me know what you think and what I can change and/or add to get the best bang for my buck!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $96.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $52.95 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $68.00 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card HIS Radeon R9 270X 2GB IceQ X² Video Card $154.99 @ Newegg
Case Aerocool Strike-X One ATX Mid Tower Case $47.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Fractal Design Integra R2 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Directron
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.75 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $536.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-17 17:26 EST-0500

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

-I plan on buying this set up sometime around Christmas hopefully.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jn99XL I went one step above the R9 280X, a R9 290. Its currently $20 under budget.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The problem with that is I've seen that the 6300 bottlenecks the 290. Is that true? And what does that actually do to the system in terms of performance?

Also, that's $40 over budget without mail-in rebates. If I went with the 1866 RAM in there it would be $50 over. My budget's just really tight right now. I can't go over $600 unless it's like $5 over. Even then it might not work out. :( I was also looking into getting a 290 originally because I've seen it on sale for just $10-$20 more than a 280x. I just don't know about the bottlenecking issue and such.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

It wouldn't be anything significant and it highly, highly depends on the game.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for confirming that. I read basically the same thing you just said on a few tech websites like tomshardware. Some people claimed the FX 6300 bottlenecks the 290x, but others clarified it by saying it depends on the situation and even then, it's not that much and barely noticeable, if at all.

Hopefully I can get a 290. That will future-proof my build a bit more. :D

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6kqsP6 I squeezed in a R9 280X and got a better case and its $ 20 under budget if you don't include mir's.

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't seen it for that much. I know there was like one for sale on the part list for $200 right now. I saw it hit like $160 around Black Friday, but I just don't know if it will go that low again. I added it into my list anyways, but I'm just not sure if it's worth the performance increase?

I'm not including mail-in rebates by the way as those take forever to do. D:

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Hopefully they go on sale again. :D Even if they don't, chances are, I'll end up getting the 280x instead of the 270x if my money allows it. It would definitely be better for "future proofing" my build a little bit.

And that's the other thing I wanted to ask; how can I know which version of a graphics card is better? I'm always seeing different versions on the parts list and I know some of them have lower clock speeds, but that's all I'm really getting from it. I'll go post this question in the GPU section on the forum actually. :)

And thank you for the help! I was thinking about going with that same 270x because it has higher ratings on here.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube