add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Kurt439

62 months ago

Is this a good build for the price? Are is there something cheaper an better? http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Kurt439/saved/MY2BD3

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

moved some costs around that you won't notice to get you into an OCable and SLI capable MoBo and gold PSU

You still don't have an SSD though (if that's important to you.)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 66.3 CFM CPU Cooler $34.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $129.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card $349.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.75 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Apevia CF12SL-BBL 50.3 CFM 120mm Fan $6.99 @ Directron
Case Fan Apevia CF12SL-BBL 50.3 CFM 120mm Fan $6.99 @ Directron
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $961.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-17 20:02 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm looking to buy after X-Mas, it's mostly for gaming. My Brother has Alienware runs farcry 4 good. Will this perform smoother than Alienware?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure - though you'll have to specify the specs of his PC for us to really compare. For the most part, prebuilts won't perform as well as home builts at similar price points. Alienware is no exception, and is arguably one of the worst companies at it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

In my opinion. If you have no idea what PC parts do. And you have a lot of spare cash around. And you just want to play games. Get an Alienware.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure, though I think it's understood that someone unwilling or unable to look at parts compatibility or selection might not be able to build better than a prebuilt. Of course the opposite would be someone unwilling to uninstall bloatware...

I tried to look up what Alienware's offerings were before I had posted that, and it appears to be two console replacements (the first featuring laptop CPUs, and the other topping out at a 760ti,) and an X99 build. That's not really a fair comparison IMO.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

But you know what... I LOVE THE CASES!!!!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not to sure about his hardware I could find out. I was a console gamer started playing pc games on my laptop, But can't run game on high are ultra. It's not to much on games it's an samsung ativ 8.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube