add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New to the board, need advice

al17online

62 months ago

Hello All, Just stumbled across this site the other while I was researching a new build. First off, I am not a gamer. Not looking to overclock. This is my first personal build. I have had several homemade builds, but a friend put my purchased components together for me.

After some research i came up with this list of hardware. Don't know if its overkill for dual monitors, web surfing, movie watching, remote access to my work PC & stuff like that. But I wanted a fast PC. Reliable. Worry free.

CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or Zalman CNPS10X OPTIMA

Motherboard - Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) ATX LGA1150

Memory- Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Storage - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM

Video Card _Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

Case - Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower

Power Supply -Corsair 600W ATX12V

Optical Drive -Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer

Case Fan -Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm (2 pair) Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm

Would I need a GPU with this mobo not being a gamer or video editor? Do I need a CPU cooler?

It roughly comes out to about $1064 using this site, but I plan on purchasing everything locally at a Micro Center store near me. If I go with this set up, do I have everything covered? Cables, controllers, etc? I would hate to have all this stuff in front of me & not able to finish it because I have to get something.

Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are not overclocking don't get a "K" CPU. "K" CPU's are made to be overclocked. You also won't need a CPU cooler because the stock one will be fine if you aren't overclocking. You will have all the cables and controls included.

I'd only change your HDD to this one

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003

Otherwise it looks great. Welcome to PCs

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input, Crazy. Can you elaborate on the Seagate instead of the WD please?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Well. It's double the storage and only a little bit more. You could even get a WD 1tb. It's just a much better deal to go with 1tb when 500Gb is almost the same price.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

"Well. It's double the storage and only a little bit more. You could even get a WD 1tb. It's just a much better deal to go with 1tb when 500Gb is almost the same price."

I had the 1TB WD on my list but figured I wouldn't need that much storage. Plus with a bigger the drive , doesn't it take a little longer to find things? But you are right, for a few dollars more I can double my storage.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

As far as I know it dosen't take longer to find what you are trying to find. It's a nice future proof.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd change put the GPU for R9 270x, R9 280 or GTX 760 for a better experience when playing intense games but the rest of the build seems to be a pretty beastly build and i hope you get the best of luck

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree, you shouldn't get a -K CPU. Plus, you might not even need the graphics card. The graphics card that is used for the i5-4690K is pretty good for hd videos, movies, or stuff that is not game (well light gaming works fine actually, like Minecraft, Flightgear, etc.)

I am not sure if the PSU is actually the right voltage, so can you give me the permalink right under where it says system build?

But good job!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Updated after reading everyone's suggestions. Thanks all! Good to go? Not sure about the GPU for right now. Might want to see how the onboard graphics handles my needs to start out. The other item I am still looking for is an internal media card reader (with solid reviews) Plan on picking up at local micro center, so bottom line price might be different.

Anything I need to pick up? Cables, pins, paste, jumpers etc while I am there?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube