add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
sandviper

61 months ago

Hey there

Im upgrading my cpu after three years. Still have the GTX 460 and I am starting to feel it haha. I dont know a lot about solid states so I didnt include one. If they are really good please tell me why. And critique the build also!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/sandviper/saved/8ZHJ7P

Thanks!

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you using a motherboard that you already have or are you buying a new one? If you already have it, I can understand your choice of the i5-3570K. If you will be buying a new one however, get a Z97 chipset because the i5-4690K is newer, more powerful, and cheaper than the 3570K. The rest of it looks pretty good. I'm assuming all of the overridden parts are ones you currently own?

As for SSDs, if you have room in your budget for one then it will be a nice addition. Solid state drives are more stable, reliable, and MUCH faster than mechanical drives. Get a 120GB or larger one to act as your boot drive and store any programs that you want to load quickly.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I am replacing everything. So I am getting a new processor and a new motherboard. What combination are you recommending? I couldnt find a Z97.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Feel free to spend more on the motherboard than this, this is just the cheapest one. You can set PCpartpicker's parametric filter for Z97 chipset and browse the options. Just remove the i5-3570K from your build first so it doesn't interfere with the compatibility filter.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $88.99 @ SuperBiiz
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Will the price of the motherboards make that big of a difference in performance? Sorry Im a newbie when it comes to this stuff. Second time upgrading ever.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

In performance? Not really. In quality? Yes. Look at what feaures it has (Crossfire/SLI support, overclocking utilities, extra fan or USB headers, etc.) to decide what you need. I think getting something in the $120 range like you were going to spend originally will get you everything you need. You can get quality components for less if you are willing to sacrifice features.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright cool. Got that figured out. In your opinion what do you think: GTX 770 or the radeon 290?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Can games be stored on them? I never used one thought I would ask

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, an SSD acts exactly like any other storage drive. You can move files on and off just like an HDD.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I'll put one in my build samsung has HIGH reviews

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube