add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions On My One Grand Rig?

hc364712

62 months ago

I'm not very experienced but I will probably use this computer for casual gaming, internet browsing, and working on music production. Thoughts? I'm on kind of a tight budget so anything from $800 to $1200 will probably work.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/hc364712/saved/7GN2FT

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point
  • The PSU is pretty overkilled. You should at least downgrade it to a 600 watt or 500 watt power supply.

• For the stuff you do, you might not need 16 GB of ram, either 8 gb or 12 GB will work fine.

• It is a full tower, meaning it will be giant, and I don't know why you put a microATX motherboard in there. Maybe price?

seems good otherwise!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Good component selection but the CPU seems "weak" especially for production.

Some questions:

Do you need a Bluray drive ( I don't know if you'll be frequently writing on disks)?

Are you sure that the Sound card is plentiful?

Do you greatly value the looks of the peripherals and case?

Do you plan to CrossFire in the future?

You probably already have a 1TB+ HDD but I wouldn't rely on only an SSD for any type of production. You'd run out of space for documents pretty quickly.

The A10 is probably weak for a workstation when alternatives such as the 8320 or an i5/Xeon exist.

The PSU is absolute overkill unless you plan to Crossfire those Cards in the future.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $69.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler $44.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock FM2A88X+ Killer ATX FM2+ Motherboard $89.99 @ Micro Center
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $65.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $65.98 @ Newegg
Storage PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $73.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $97.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card $137.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $97.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $58.97 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $90.27 @ B&H
Sound Card Asus Xonar DS 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card $36.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Asus USB-AC53 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter $29.99 @ B&H
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $27.95 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1069.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-19 00:33 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Part choice reasoning:

Processor (CPU): I chose the Athlon 860K because it packs a lot of performance with absolutely wonderful value. It is $30 less than the one you previously set. Also, the one you had was an APU (accelerated processing unit). This means that there is an integrated graphics system built in with the CPU, which is a waste of money if you're using a discrete card (Windforce 270X). So basically the Athlon is a better version that's cheaper, and it doesn't waste money on integrated graphics.

CPU cooler: When it comes to silence, which is very important for music production, Noctua fans are right on the money. At only $20 more, we're looking at a much quieter cooler with better performance.

Motherboard: ASRock is a very reliable brand, and their Fatal1ty series is a great option when it comes to nearly anything. For overclocking (if you're into that) it has many options and is easy to set up, along with lots of other neat features built right into the motherboard.

RAM (Memory): The A-Data Ram is much slower than the G. Skill Sniper, and the high frequency, as well as quad channel, comes in handy for many games and also music production. Also it was yellow which didn't match, and the heatsink was too tall for the Noctua cooler.

SSD: I basically exchanged 16 GB from the original one to save you $30.

HDD: I chose a three terabyte hard drive just incase you get more into music production and decide to download addons or soundpacks for your suite. Trust me, space gets used up fast when you explore options like these.

Video Card: I didn't change this because the 270X is a card with great performance per dollar. Good job on this one.

Case: I thought it would be funny for you to use the Arc Midi... get it? :D. Also it's a cool and beautiful-looking case in general. Decent airflow and decent customizability.

Power Supply (PSU): The EVGA SuperNova NEX series is great for the value. It is fully modular and Gold certified, just like the Antec, except $40 cheaper. I kept the wattage just to leave you some room if you want to upgrade in the future.

Optical Drive: I'm sure you have your reasons for picking this drive, so I decided not to mess around with it.

Operating System (OS): Same situation as above.

Sound Card: I chose a card that was similar, except the frequency was twice as high and the sound-to-noise ratio was a little better. These things are insanely crucial to music production. And only $10 more!

Wireless Network Adapter: The current one is fine, so I left it untouched.

Keyboard/Mouse: Great value for the quality of the peripherals, more suited for a variety of things including games, and it matched color-wise. But this is just an opinion, the Logitech is great as well.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

That helps a lot. I want to make sure that my computer can handle me doing lots of different things at once so will i need a better processor?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, if you're willing to spend $200 on a processor you can get a high-end 15, which would be a bit better for music production and just about everything anyways...

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sorry, I meant i5. I have such a bad habit of doing that...

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.98 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler $44.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $102.00 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $73.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $78.75 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card $137.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $97.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $56.13 @ B&H
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $90.26 @ OutletPC
Sound Card Asus Xonar DS 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card $36.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Asus USB-AC53 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter $29.99 @ B&H
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $27.95 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1196.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-19 14:54 EST-0500

Here, this is for if you decide the extra money for an i5 is worth it. After all, it still fits your budget. This is what I changed:

Processor: It is a bit more power efficient, about the same in terms of overclocking, but significantly more powerful when it comes to performance.

Motherboard: Another Fatal1ty board, but it fits the i5.

HDD: It's the same, but 2TB and a bit cheaper.

RAM: The G. Skill Sniper RAM's voltage was too high for the Haswell (i5) to support and remain 100% stable.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube