add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$1000 Build. Opinions wanted

Shinzedic

62 months ago

• I am looking for this build to be around $1000
  • I am not planning on overclocking
  • It will be primarily used for gaming, and media consumption (I have a very large movie library, hence the large hard drive)
  • I will be using a triple monitor display

QUESTIONS

• Is this an ideal GPU/CPU pair for NOT overclocking?
  • Is the power supply appropriate?
  • is the case appropriate for the build?

Any other input would be appreciated also.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $214.87 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $104.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $54.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $97.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card $329.98 @ NCIX US
Case Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $38.28 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $991.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-19 13:03 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points
  • Yes you're good with the CPU and GPu you have listed.
  • The PSU is appropriate for this build, gives you the room for upgrades and when and if you get a unlocked CPU, you can OC. And SLI.
  • Yes, the case is fine.

In all, solid build. The only thing I would do is grab 2 4GB sticks of RAM for dual channel memory.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The build looks good. Very passable partlist. I would recommend changing the motherboard to an H97 chipset since you aren't overclocking, and getting a PSU with a bit less wattage since the GPU is very power efficient (550 pref. 650W+ is more than enough for a single card system). The only other part I would recommend changing is getting a 2x4gb set of RAM for dual channel, unless you plan to upgrade to 16gb in the future.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice. Just out of curiousity, why is 2x4gb ram better than 1x8gb?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

dual channel capabilities, which will improve speeds, but mostly it's nothing you'll see except on benchmarks. If you don't plan to upgrade, I'd recommend going with 2x4gb just so that you have dual channel, although if you do plan to upgrade the 1x8gb is fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube