add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Sons Christmas gift help

Impreclient

62 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Impreclient/saved/yCvNnQ

I know I'm cutting it close time wise but I wanted I've been fretting over getting this all right the past couple weeks This is what I came up with so far. Anything wrong with what I did there? Using Arctic Silver 5 paste I had from another build. The SSD came with the SATA cable so I don't see anything I forgot. It comes to $936.79 after all the rebates and promo codes at Newegg. I kept away from the Geforce GTX 970 due to all the complaints of coil whine. Budget: As close to under $1k as possible like I did in that list Location: US OS: Will be running Windows & Ultimate Use: Gaming and youtubing Thanks for the help.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Well done, although the dvd burner is obsolete unless the windows you have is already a cd format. Also if you are video editing on Youtube (I have experience) you NEED 16 GB of RAM. Any RAM will do, just make sure its at least 16gb

Edit: switch the CPU cooler for a Cooler Master hyper 212 evo to cut costs for the RAM

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

He doesn't need 16gb, but if he can afford it, it's great to have.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I have experience with the Asus 970 Strix edition. It has no coil whine. If you go for a 970 GET THAT ONE

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The Strix edition wasn't available at newegg any more. I did see that one wasn't having the coil whine issue though. I was trying to get it all in one shot from Newegg so it made me look into the Radeon instead.
I did see the Strix edition one at Amazon for $380 but that was $66 more than the one I got. Is it worth it to throw the extra cash and get it from Amazon instead?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh okay. Well the R9 290 cards aren't bad at all.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It should be good. Plenty of power and the parts should all work well together. Any changes to be made would be based mostly on preference. Pull the trigger and hurry up getting it shipped and built in time

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I have 16 gb in there, 2 X 8gb. You guys were confusing me for a second there. Also, the Cooler Master 212 is $50 and that Zalman one I put in there is $24 after the rebates.
I didn't look into every 970 but so many had the coil whine issue so I thought it would be best to stay away. Is there a reason to get the 970 over that one I got in there?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I should have also clarified "gaming". My son plays games on Steam like Minecraft, Terraria, The sims3, Kerbal Space Program. I'm pretty sure this is way overbuilt for those kinds of games but I wanted to kind of future proof it for 2-3 years at least until he is done with high school and also be capable to play more demanding games if he wants to.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube