add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Goal = 1500 , im new any advice at all would help

JackofHearts211

62 months ago

Hello I am new, i haven't really ever built a desktop but I plan to within a month. Here is the parts I have chosen -

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7vvfRB

Basically I want something that will run current things at max settings. I also want to look towards the future like trying to play Ryse, Witcher 3, ect.. I also would probably go SLI in the future and will probably look into 4k. Will this build be set up for an easy transition towards these things>?

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

If you are looking into 4K then i7 is kind of fine, though you will be extremely limited with Z97 (unless you buy those with PLX chips). Overall speaking, you system looks fine, though 212 EVO can replace that Noctua one. If you really need 4K, something like ToxicDOPE build might suit you better though I'd rather have 2x4 of memory instead of 1x8, I'm not seeing anyone maxing out at 64GB (or needing to).

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You have done well with your prices based on the list but regarding the motherboard... Why not pick one from MicroCenter and take advantage of their bundle pricing? Seeing as your pricing reflects the walk-in price you can save an extra $40 on many motherboards. I would also suggest you use the tools here and you will find that you can do better as to the cost of your SSD. You can get the Samsung 840 EVO kit (250GB) from B&H for $135.

Just a couple of thoughts

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, I did swap the SSD for a cheaper one. I do have one question though. The motherboard seems one of the more important things I am investing in, did I make a good choice? I am not sure when it comes to the z97 it seems there a dozen different variations of it. These range from under 200 to well over 300 $ Should I try and spend a bit more than the one I picked?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

you could do something like this for a more up to date parts that will future proof yourself later on and you can add another 970 card or upgrade to 980 depending on what you wanna do but i definitely think this would be a good choice in terms of making it easier to upgrade later on.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $299.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Swiftech H220-X 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $137.88 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus X99-PRO ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $294.95 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $163.98 @ Newegg
Storage PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $73.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $39.99 @ Best Buy
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card $359.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1560.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-21 02:25 EST-0500

forgot to add windows 8 and optical drive but just add 100$ for windows and 20$ for a asus drive and price would be 1680.75$

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

i finally started buying parts, i see the memory you mentioned is only for sale if you buy a whole pc bundle. i know this build requires ddr4, any other suggestions for a good price?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I do not really think that is necessary. The motherboard is extremely important (so you are correct). The question to me is, "How are you going to use your system?" The board you have picked is solid board. I just thought that saving money with a bundle might be a way to go.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube