add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New First Time Build! (need opinions on set-up)

Kingtheodorus

62 months ago

HI!

This is my first time PC build, here is the set up i am currently looking at getting. Any thoughts or opinions on it? I will primarily be using this computer for gaming such as BF4, LoL, Far Cry's Etc (on ultra settings hopefully) as well as recording some of these game plays.

Thanks in advance!!

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+

Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Storage: Western Digital Se 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM (SSD possibly added in the future)

Video Card : Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II

Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V

Case: Corsair 300r windowed (already own)

http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/user/Kingtheodorus/saved/ZK2BD3

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, I noticed that you selected the fx-6300 Is there any particular reeason for this? I would suggest the i3 4150 though it is entirely up to you. The reason though is that the intel draws less power and produces less heat. Though if you can't get it I see no problem with the cpu you have selected though you might want an aftermarket cooler E.G hyper 212 evo if you plan on overclocking that cpu.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice! I will have a look at the i3 4150. I mainly chose the fx-6300 because of the value for money it has as from what i have read about it it has good performance at a relatively cheaper price then other processors. I have actually looked at the hyper 212 evo and it was on my part list but took it off as it is something i can look into getting after i get all the basic components to run the machine. I also am very new to pc building and not experienced in overclocking so ideally wanted something that is pretty good in its basic form. Thanks for the reply!!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Well depending on what you choose to do such as rendering, gaming, etc Each CPU has it's advantages and disadvantages. However if for purely gaming then I recommend the i3 4150. Now on the notion that is a good price- performance cpu I agree with you. However if you take into account the limited upgrade path and aftermarket cooler pretty much a requirement I would say the i3 is more than it's moneys worth but I don't know anything about NZ prices sorry as i am from australia. I can imagine how bad the prices are for you guys.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hold the horses! Some next gen games like FARCRY 4 won't even OPEN on a 2 core processor! And it seems that some other triple A titles are following that pattern. In this way, the fx 6000 May benefit in terms of futureproofness and in terms of releasing the risk of frustration when you want to play a next generation game!

As I noticed you were planning on playing FARCRY, so do consider this carefully.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

That's weird because I have seen farcry 4 open on this exact same processor because my friend uses the same. So that statement seems a bit off.I assume you are talking about the problem with dual cores that don't use hyper-threading which this i3 does.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Reference from NCIX

http://youtu.be/EOD3ss-Rb4c

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

This piece was ripped straight from pcworld.

Far Cry 4 mostly utilizes your CPU's third core, barely tapping into the first two cores on a processor, as members of this Reddit thread first pointed out (and I've since confirmed on my own system). This seems like a case of poor PC optimization more than any inherent dual-core hardware limitation. Ubisoft has yet to respond to my request for comment.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh! I was worried man! Didn't wanna get you the wrong CPU! Just give a thought towards an INTEL quad core CPU, if you have the budget. 4 cores is always better than 2. Just as long as FARCRY will work, then GodzLegend has got this!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

They say pc gaming is easy which is so true... If it wasn't for ubisoft

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah... UBISOFT......

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Well Mr King Willthevideoman gave some great advice and you should definitely take into consideration everything he said. The community here are always willing to help with such great people like him that you should never hesitate to ask or even disagree with what any of us say. After all YOU are spending the money! Wish you best of luck for your build and have the utmost fun in the process

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Have fun building!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks guys! Will take it all into consideration!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube