add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help popping my PC Building cherry.

Evitative

62 months ago

Hey guys! I a virgin when it comes to building a PC(and maybe in reality too lol) And Ive been saving up for a gaming PC as Ive had a 4 year old laptop that is slowly dying on me. I wanted to know your thoughts on the build that Ive come up with.

I can go a little more with regards to money seeing as this will be a 5 year+(hopefully) investment. Any suggestions will be very helpful so feel free to give constructive criticisms(with regards to case, CPU, storage and CPU cooling). Im set on the i5-4690k but not on which brand of GTX 970 to get

Thanks in advance and have a Merry Christmas!

Here is my part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evitative/saved/mwGdnQ

CPU: i5-4690k

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 2x4 8 Cas

SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 Strix

Case: NZXT S340 ATX Mid Tower Case

PSU: EVGA Supernova NEX 750 G2

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

For a virgin, you certainly know all the moves....

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

LOL! I watch a lot of tutorial :)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah! You know.....

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

looks really good to me, but the cooler already comes with the thermal paste

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it a good enough thermal paste? Ive heard people say that this thermal paste would give optimum performance bla bla

[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Really solid build. Good price to performance on pretty much everything. Depending on how much you want to OC you may want to upgrade the 212 Evo; however its a great cooler for the price and not looking to push the CPU to its limits.

As far as the 970s go, the Gigabyte overclocks the best, the MSI runs the coolest and I think the Asus is the quietest. I don't think there is a big difference in the performance so go with the brand you like the best and which fits your build.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Ive heard that the 212 EVO is good for light-med OC.

Is it easy to replace it with a H100i down the road? Also Im lookin to SLI in the future will this cooler still be a viable option or should I just go ahead and spend more on an h100i?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like things got... steamy real quik.

GJ with this one. The MOBO and PSU might be overkill, but who cares?!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea Ive heard people say that the PSU is overkill but it's on sale and the EVGA 650w G2 is also nowhere to be found so I guess Ill go with this one, as I have plans to SLI in the FUTUUUUREE!! Anyway do you have any alternatives to the MoBO?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I just saw the Mobo is on Promo today. If you get it with ze newegg deal then its superb.

Otherwise there are very lucrative mobos in the zz97 Mobos 110-120 range.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this a promo in the US?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Apparently its a newegg deal. For 22 dollars off the list price of 150.

So yes It would only be applicable for the US and it ends today. If you're already decided on your build then you might as well get it before the promo ends :P but its no huge loss if you miss out.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Aww thats too bad. Im a northerner lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube