add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Finally, my First Gaming Build

teetar

62 months ago

Alright. I've been looking at this and that for a couple months now, and my build is finally becoming tangible. These are the final parts I've decided on. I've got a few final questions.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.98 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $127.49 @ Amazon
Memory *G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $120.98 @ Newegg
Memory *G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $120.98 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $91.99 @ Newegg
Storage *Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI) $349.99 @ B&H
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI) $349.99 @ B&H
Case Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case $149.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Lite-On IHAS324-07 DVD/CD Writer $19.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor *BenQ GL2760H 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $174.98 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter *Asus PCE-N53 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $23.99 @ Newegg
Fan Controller NZXT SENTRY 3 Fan Controller $29.99 @ Directron
Keyboard *Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard $97.88 @ Mechanical Keyboards
Mouse *A4Tech F5 Wired Laser Mouse $19.99 @ Newegg
Headphones Logitech G930 7.1 Channel Headset $94.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2608.09
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-21 09:31 EST-0500

So, as far as the Graphics Cards go, do the ones I picked come with backplates? If not, is it worthwhile to invest in some? Also, I was looking at monitors, and I was wondering if I should push and pay a little extra for an IPS monitor. I want to use this for casual gaming so I'm not too concerned about the refresh rate being 120/144Hz, but I do want a good looking picture.

Thanks for any help/advice you guys can give me!

Edit: I put in the wrong PSU. My final one was a 600W. On that note, I was wondering if you guys think 600W could handle an OC'd 4690k and 2 SLI'd 970s? I was a little quizzical about buying it, but it was really cheap ($20) so I had to jump.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Your going to need aleast 750 watts. Theres no way 600 will cut it with a overclocked cpu.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

GPU - That particular card doesn't come with a back plate, As to if they're worth the investment I'd say they aren't. They don't do anything for temps despite what some people might say and their main selling point is that they improve rigidity of the card to prevent sagging or drooping. So far from what I've been reading sagging has only been an issue with a few cheaper cards and more often than not because they aren't screwed down tightly enough. Although some people buy them just for looks which I can't argue with.

Monitor - IPS all the way, They look great and have a wider viewing angle.

PSU - Considering the base power draw of the components you've selected I'd step it up a bit, I generally aim for 150-200w over estimated power draw since most PSUs sweet spot is in the 60-80% range.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, thanks for your input! For the PSU, do you think it'd work temporarily for the CPU not overclocked, and one 970 not over clocked? And then when I move up to a more appropriate PSU, I'd be about to get the OCs and the other 970. Thanks!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It will be fine if you're only running one 970, But you'll need to upgrade before adding another.

The thing to keep in mind is if you run a PSU above 85% load the fan is going to ramp up and get pretty loud. Another thing is if your rig tries to draw more power than can be supplied safety measures kick in and shut down to prevent damage.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, thanks a lot for this information!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube