add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Portable Gaming PC build, tips much appreciated.

HyperactiveSloth

62 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/HyperactiveSloth/saved/nT9ypg

This is my first draft of a parts list for a "portable" low-mid gaming rig. Basically I didn't want to waste money on a laptop that will never leave the house. I figured for less money I could build something faster with a larger screen that's modifiable, upgrade-able, and much easier to work on.

The idea is to use a slim case, or orient an htpc case vertically and mount it to the back of a monitor and attach a handle to the top of the case. When the pc needs to be moved then you just pick up the whole thing together and take it to another room. The monitor included in the parts list is basically just a placeholder. If you know of a better one in the price range or any one that would lend itself to easy mounting to the "bottom" of a slim case, please let me know.

Oh, and be gentle. This is my first attempted build in years. :)

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Note the Compatibility Notes listed at the bottom of your parts page.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmmm... How about switching the RAM, are those low profile? Kingston Fury is a good choice. And also, for mini computers, consider just using a SSD, less noise, less power consumption, easier to install.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, I'm not sure if those RAM modules are low-profile or not. Do you think they need to be because of case clearance? I went with just a HDD for now because of cost, but I think I may take your advice for weight and noise reasons (not to mention speed). I could always make up the cost by switching to a cheaper case. I really like the case, but practically speaking, a different case would allow for the use of a cheaper PSU and ODD as well. Thanks for the advice.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

It really depends on the case, if the case as clearance at all.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You could get a much cheaper optical drive. ASUS makes a good, cheap one. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-optical-drive-drw24b1stblkbas should be compatible.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The case requires a "slimline" ODD. Unfortunately that was the cheapest slim drive I could find. I'm thinking of ditching the ODD completely, but would really prefer to have one. Most cases within the size limits I've decided on either have no ODD or slimline. I haven't seen any low profile cases that would fit a full size drive.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmmm, while searching for possible alternative cases I may have come across exactly the parts I want with an ideal case pre-bundled. Any opinions on this deal? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2017297

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

On second thought, after including the price of a monitor and OS to make it comparable to my full parts list it IS more expensive. Well, maybe I'll keep an eye on it and watch for price drops. In the mean time, back to tweaking the original list.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube