add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for the right cooler and video card to fill this out.

Humanparody

62 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vrcM23

Have the HD and CD drive already. Just looking for any recommendations on a decent bang-for-my-buck video card under $300usd and a cpu cooler that can handle this 220W chip (mobo is rated at half that yet they say she'll work....wait and see)

Also, any other suggestions on anything I might be missing would be greatly appreciated. It's been awhile since my last build and this one is for my 10yo son.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, also looking to see which OS you guys recommend running. I may have skipped a few iterations over the last...oh, 6 years (mainly work with recording studio gear so my needs have been limited to "It works so don't ******* touch it") so I'm looking for the most stable OS with the least chance of compatibility issues with this hardware.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Get windows 7 or 8, they both are decent.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

No benefit to one over the other then?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pTPzGX Im assuming this is for gaming, I got a i5 since its cheaper and better for gaming and most games don't use 8 cores. I also got a cheaper, better and bigger PSU thats fully modular. I also got cheaper ram, ram is just ram for gaming, theres no noticeable difference in the speeds unless your using a APU which you aren't. Stock cooling will be fine unless you want to overclock. I used the saved money to get a gigabyte windforce GTX 970.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I was hoping to go Intel but I have been watching the price drops like a hawk all month and AMD just happened to have a stupid low priced FX9590 pop up which I couldn't pass up. (the prices shown on the build link are today's prices, not what I paid) That basically was the deciding factor on which direction the build was going.

Honestly he's just going to play Minecraft on it (yes, I felt the entirety of the Internet cringe as well) until I can get him to understand that this computer will be very sad and cold unless he expands his horizons.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If he is just playing minecraft it will benfit a lot from the i5 since it only uses one core and the fx 9590 is just a factory overclocked fx 8350 which is almost twice as cheap.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Did I mention it is already wrapped and sitting in my basement lol? Besides one core on this chip can run Minecraft blindfolded with one hand tied behind its back. I think this is inevitably is going to evolve into hosting a MC server or two as well so those other cores won't be sitting idle.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Come on Dad, Pony up for the dual GPU water cooled monster to pair with that CPU :-)

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9295x8qfa

There are a lot of choices of 290/290x at or below the $300 mark. Another $30 will get you into the 970 range.

AMD also makes SSDs (re-brands) you know. Keeps the theme alive.

Looking at Amazon reviews it seems that CPU comes with a water cooler (Antec 920?).

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

BWAHAAHAAA!! I hope you like meatloaf, because that's what we'll be having for dinner when you come over and convince my wife to let me buy that card.

As for the cooler, I bought one without a stock heat sink on it because I was planning on OCing it. Can't decide whether to go water or not. Everyone seems to be very satisfied with any and every heat sink they dropped their money on (like that BMW that is always in the shop) so its hard to get a feel for which heat sink is actually the best buy.

As for the card, I was looking at the 290x, but like everything else in this build, I'll probably end up throwing my budget out the window. My main concern is branding. It's been so long since I've built anything, there are a few new names out there and I don't know their track records. Any brands that are notable performers or any names I should steer clear of?

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

As far as CPU coolers go a Noctua D14/15 or the nu-14 would be options. Can't help with AIO coolers as I prefer air for reliability and quiet.

ON the AMD side of GPUs, the XFX and Sapphire brands seem to be the most popular when they where in their hay-day.

970s: The Gigabyte Gaming, MSI Gaming and the ASUS STRIX seem to be the most OCable. If not pushing it and running stock about any of them will do.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube