add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Advice on build from last month

misterpieguy

61 months ago

I was looking at a build linus tech tips recommended a little over a month ago and was wondering if it would still be good or if there is something better now. Thanks for the help :) Here is the build: http://gyazo.com/861e4caf63e2f93ba7151fbf5083404b

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

All that and they don't even throw in a Z97 board..

Actually, there's a few things in here I wouldn't do

1. Z97 board over Z87

2. not a WD Green drive.. I just don't have good experiences with the thing. Instead of one HDD, would get multiple smaller ones just in case. If that large one fails, you've lost everything.

3. there are probably better quality PSUs at that price

4. If you're gonna get a HUGE HDD, could probably cut the SSD's size down a bit and save the cash

Dunno about the CPU cooler, but everything else seems solid.. Especially the 2 GTX970s

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, the 97 is only like $10 more so that can be done easily. I definitely don't need the 6tb's in the first place 2-3 would probably be plenty. so maybe like a 3tb hhd and keep the ssd? This is the first time I'm actually building the PC myself so I'm sorta new to it. Thanks for all the help. Do you have any recommendations for PSUs or a Cooler?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

My recommendations are usually EVGA, XFX's XTR series (as it's made by SeaSonic), and SeaSonic itself reigning supreme (though real expensive compared to EVGA at similar wattages)

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I found this EVGA850 PSU for around the same price. I think that would work but I could be totally wrong. what about Cooling? I think liquid cooling sounds pretty neat and quiet but should I just get regular fans? or do I just need a more reliable brand than that?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, the PSU should be fine

I just don't know to much about liquid coolers and which brands are the go-to. 212 EVOs are kinda my thing for air, but it's massive and may block off RAM if their heatsinks are too big

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube