add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Server/NAS/HTPC. What to do?

eRaz0rHead

61 months ago

Current Build

I'm looking to put something small(ish) in the living room. It needs to be fairly quiet, and able to be on 24/7. Primary use is to replace the old ReadyNAS Duo as a file server. I'm considering running FreeNAS or NAS4Free, but plain old Windows Home Server or Ubuntu is not out of the question. Possibly I might use it to stream video files to the XBox 360 (or, if it's up to it, directly to the TV itself).

I'm posting here as a quick sanity check before hitting the "Buy Now" button :D Any glaring deficiencies here? Improvements? Is the Pentium G3420 better for this purpose? Any suggestions for cooling? I had decent results with the stock fan on the i3 in a fractal design Core 1000, but haven't tried a build in the Node 304.

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. would do 2 x 4gb RAM kit for dual-channel stuff unless you really see yourself eating 16GB RAM on this thing

2. don't do WD greens.. Mine's somehow the loudest thing in my PC and this one was designed to be as quiet as possible. Your's may be different, though..

3. H97 board, newer stuff and you get to avoid possibly having to mess with the bios

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. I was considering leaving it open for upgrade, but maybe that's just overkill for this purpose...
  2. Sad to hear that. I had opted for 1 of each Green/Red to avoid potential batch coincidence failures, but quiet is more important. Any other thoughts on storage?
  3. Ahh -- good point. I was thinking I wouldn't need the 97 because I wasn't planning on overclocking .. but I'd also rather not deal with BIOS updates.

I've incorporated those suggestions

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I was thinking I wouldn't need the 97 because I wasn't planning on overclocking

Ah, that's where the Z- H- Q- and B- prefixes come in, the number is just the chipset version to my knowledge

Any other thoughts on storage?

Oddly enough my WD Black is real quiet; though a WD Blue (getting one myself, media storage to relieve my other 2 drives for more games) or Seagate Barracuda may be the way to go if on a budget

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. According to the lists, the Price/GB for the 4TB Red is better even than the Barracuda or the Black ... but perhaps there might be performance reasons for choosing the smaller drives. Any thoughts on that?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

RED is marketed for the NAS crowd however the Black editions are performance oriented drives and as such I would lean towards the performance drive.

I would easily recommend the WD Black for gaming, simply because it is a 7200 RPM drive vs a 5400 RPM drive. WD Red is intended more for storage/NAS type setup. There are several articles you can read on the comparison between the drives, but this is the main point

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/291194-32-black

I guess reds are the way to go

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube