add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build compatibility paranoia

mk7676

61 months ago

First, I'd like to apologize for being a fly-by-night poster. I'm literally just here to exploit your collective expertise and then leave, giving back nothing to the community. So...yea.......

I decided I want to buy a computer for the purposes of web surfing and gaming. I haven't played a video game with graphics on "normal" in over ten years, and I'm really looking forward to it now that I have some discretionary income. Problem is, all of the pre-built computers either skimp on graphics or cost $4000+. Hence, I've decided to build. Done a ton of research, so I'm fairly confident in the parts (at least the main parts like cpu and video card...I have no idea what I'm doing with the case or cooling fan). My main concern is compatibility. There seems to be so much minutiae in getting everything to work together, and I just have no clue about that stuff.

Anyway, here is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mk7676/saved/

Two points I anticipate to come up: yes, I know I'm overdoing it on cpu and RAM for what I need, but I got a sick deal on the CPU and well...ram is ram, I want it ;). Second, even though I got only one video card, I got a motherboard with SLI compatibility so that if I want to upgrade the card in the future, instead of buying a new top of the line one and throwing out the 970, I'll just buy another 970 instead. Spend $20 now to save $200 tomorrow.

To those who reply, thanks! Maybe I'll find a way to give you some internet points or something.

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Parts should be fine, yes; would try to get a higher tier board, though, depending how heavy you wanna OC

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2383187/motherboard-tier-list-z97-chipset.html

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot for the reply! I was deciding between the ASRock z97 Extreme3 and the Extreme4. It seemed like the only difference between the two was a lot of random stuff that I didn't intend on using...is there an actual difference in terms of speed or performance?

Though I don't really intend on overclocking that much. The processor I have is already a little overkill.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Though I don't really intend on overclocking that muc

Ah, well then you should be fine

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XcBhdC You don't need a i7 or 16gb of ram, its literally 100 percent pointless for gaming and wasting money which could go somewhere else. I got a full tower case, a better hdd and ssd. It has liquid cooling, a 650 watt psu and a gigabyte gtx 970 which can overclock to 1.5ghz.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply! I know the i7 is overkill, but I got it for not much more than an i5. It does seem like the ram is a bit much. If I bought a 2x4 (or 1x8...is there really a difference?), would I be able to just buy more ram later and stick it in, or would I actually have to replace the old ram. If it's the latter then I'd gladly pay extra for future-proofing.

Would you recommend a full tower for my build?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I would always recommend full tower if you can fit in your budget and space isn't a issue.. I would get 2x4gb of ram so it can run in dual channel and you can always buy more ram later, just make its the same model.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

It should be fine. I'm sticking with TehGuy's post and suggesting the Extreme4. Honestly for gaming the 4690k will perform just as well for $100 less, but the 4790k will be better of you decide to get into anything with content creation. You may also want to consider a higher capacity SSD. I'd recommend the 240-256GB range, and I'd check out a recent video on SSDs from NCIX on YouTube for recommendations.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

When I looked at the differences between the extreme3 and extreme4, it just looked like gibberish to me...is there an actual difference in speed or performance?

I got the 4790k for $50 more than the 4690k...so yea, it might just be vanity, but it wasn't a lot more so I'm going to get it.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

There might not be a huge difference between the two, but usually in higher tiers it adds more options and better over clocking. With that being said, I would still probably pick up whichever was cheaper unless there's only a small margin of price difference

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube