add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is the best way to clean a PC?

budmonster

60 months ago

Just built my first PC and was curious to what is recommended for cleaning? I let my previous computer go to hell and it has this gunk all over the motherboard that's impossible to get it off. The CPU was all caked up with crap.

Is something like this needed: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IAOR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Or just a can of air? How often should a PC be opened up and cleaned?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac is quite popular. Better, faster results and costs less than cans in long term use.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Vacuum cleaners can result in esd. Better off with compressed air.

A small air brush is a great idea to avoid buying cans alot... Just make sure it's kept clean and dry.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac is not a vacuum cleaner. No, I have no idea why they call named it that.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah ok. I see what it is now. I think it does both actually but is mainly used as a blower. That's a good solution.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

So will that blower cause esd? I was reading that from the q&a that it's not to be used for cleaning the internal components? I'm so confused?

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point
  • The model I mentioned is not a vacuum and only acts as a blower. So it is completely safe. Unlike using mechanic/shop compressors, it will not emit liquids during use.
  • WARNING: The Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac is loud. Recommend use of ear protection or at least headphones during use. The intake filter can require frequent cleaning after/during use. I just use some scotch tape or such to stick/pick up the dust off the intake filter at the bottom of the cannister.
  • Unable to comment on the one that you have chosen, never used it before.
  • 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought it, hopefully it works out.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IAOR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I dont think this is a vacuum cleaner? If I read it correctly is for PC cleaning.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

What about static charges using this blower? Could I damage anything?

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I just use an air compressor

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey remi you should msg me some way my skype broke down so we would have to find another way to talk

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

So should I buy the Metro Vacuum or not? Or just compressed air can? Some of you guys are saying yeah and one person said it could ruin my PC?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Just make sure your compressor is dry. There's add ons for that since air tools and paint guns hate moisture.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

That thing is pretty expensive actually, but it looks like a good little device.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube