add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Non-gaming PC for parents

bykerninja

61 months ago

Looking to spend under $500 if possible. Already have a graphics card and a 1TB hard drive I can salvage from the old dinosaur they are currently running. This built is mainly focused on speed. I want it to run all the basic programs with no hiccups, and some mild future-proofing.

As for the parts, the processor is picked for speed, along with the SSD and RAM. The motherboard seems to work for my purposes, and the power supply I picked because Corsair rocks.

Any good parts that you would swap out?

And Merry Christmas!!! :D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vb4ZjX

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks fine, you prolly don't need the cooler unless you're gonna oc it for em too, stock cooler is fine at stock speeds, and personally I don't rate corsair for their psus, mainly cuz they don't actually make their own but also because of the massive bait & switch they've pulled over the years, but otoh it is hard to argue with $27 for a gold rated psu...

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly what I was thinking about the PSU. Haven't heard about the bait and switch though... I'll have to look into that.
And I'll probably knock out the CPU cooler and put that money towards a slightly better motherboard.

Thanks for the help!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah... what happened was they built their rep as a good psu manufacturer on the back of seasonic (been making psus for ~30 years now, they're one of the top manufacturers around) making a bunch of their units, now they only make one line for em & corsair have switched to using mainly cwt and other budget companies for their psus.

You'll also find most cwt psus are tested at lower temps than others, lower temps = less strain on the psu = easier to pass the tests.

Check out all the "discontinued" seasonic made corsair brand psus at the realhardx psu database - http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Good build. However, i wouldnt recommend getting the CPU cooler. Unless you want to overclock.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube