add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

X79 motherboard recommendation

Xalian

61 months ago

Build is here.

Build has grown quite a bit on cost since what I originally had planned, but It's probably better to pay for the performance I need and want, than needing to upgrade in a little bit. I will have to anyway to add more ram and probably a better cooler and ssd, but those are less expensive.

I imagine the cpu will actually work with the motherboards without an update since they're the only socket 2011 chipsets available (on this site anyway), but if it doesn't please tell me so and what you'd recommend instead.

Also just general recommendations as to part improvements. I'm sticking with the stuff I already have obviously, I'm going to stick with home premium just now and upgrade later to windows 10 if it's decent or maybe I'll jump on windows 8. Wanting to keep the 1000w psu (doesn't have to be that specific one, but I like the look of it, if there's a better one let me know) since I'm planning to add another 980 and overclock both of them as well as the cpu. Other than that any recommendations would be welcome!

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You've been quite active in this forum, I won't really bother you to go for Z97, but I'm kind of curious why not going to X99, though I think your primary reason might be those DDR4. Well, you've still haven't bought the memory.

BIOs updates might be needed because mobos were originally designed for Sandy Bridge-E and not for Ivy Bridge-E, though you have to check on the mobo itself.

Since you've picked an 1kW PSU, maty I assume that you want to go 4-way? If you want to eventually max out on 3 way then there's no reason to go with 4930K and instead replace it with 5820K.

If you really want to stay with 3 way then I'd recommend the Extreme 6, has nice features and it's decently price imo.

To be sure, do you have an headset?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I see, I wasn't entirely sure what wasn't making x99 boards appear other than the cpu, I had no idea you needed ddr4 memory.

Yeah, I'm just kind of confused at the flag since the only lga 2011 boards all seem to be x79, but if the cpu was made afterwards then it makes sense I suppose.

I'm planning on sticking 2-way just now, but I'll see if I can and want to add more down the line. So is the 5820k better than the 4930k? I'd assume so from the bigger number, but it's quite a bit cheaper, though uk prices are a bit messed up with computer parts. Also sorry if I'm being silly, but why would it matter which I went with if I wanted to go 3 or 4 sli?

I do indeed have a headset.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The 5820K is just 0.1GHz slower at stock than 4930K for around 80 bucks, though you will be most likely spending those 80 bucks on DDR4 (the price, ugh). Other advantages you get is the new architecture, the brand new X99 mobo and so on.

The problem with 5820K is it only packs 28 PCI-e lanes to make it competitive. That means a 5820K can't 4-way SLI (though it can 4-way Crossfire). Your question wasn't silly at all, because it did make a difference.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Right-o, I'll do that then, cheers.

No worries then, as said I wasn't planning on 4-way anyway, most likely not even 3 way.

Since I'm obviously new to the whole ddr4 thing, what kind of speeds and cas latency should I be going for with video editing, rendering, streaming and all that jazz? Will be gaming too, but I don't think that'll make a difference with the speed.

Also what kind of features does the extreme 6 have? Is the MSI gaming 7 any good?

Thanks for answering my questions by the way, as said I'm new to the whole x99 and ddr4 realm.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

DDR4 begins at the base of 2133MHz, and it goes all the way up to 3000. Since they are still hell of expensive as of this moment, I think the most you should get is around 2400, 2666 being rare cases.

Regarding mobos,

MSI has better audio, and Asrock has an extra Gigabit Ethernet. I ain't seeing much differences anywhere else.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I was just looking at the prices, jesus. So is cas latency 15 or so fine for 2133mhz?

Yeah, I was looking myself and couldn't see many differences, just wanted to double check I wasn't missing something big.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube