add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Future Proof - First Build -- 4k work / gaming

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Just in the line of "Future Proof":

There is a new RAM standard, DDR4. It's only supported on a very specific socket/chipset right now though, the LGA 2011-3 / X99, which only supports a few CPUs (i7-5820k, -5930k & -5960x and a handful of Xeons). The upside is that these setups can handle up to x16/x16/x16/x16, depending on the MB and CPU.

In the future though, it is expected to see a wider range of DDR4 RAM options, including 16GB chips, in order to reach the "standard maximum" of 128GB (8x16GB).

As for the CPUs (at least, for the i7s), they are 6+ cores, 3+ GHz and unlocked. Most people seem to be able to reach at least 4GHz with them using high-end coolers.

Of course, these are all rather new (came out end of August/beginning of September), are focused on Enthusiast/High-end users and as such, come with a higher price tag.

As for the SSD, Samsung just came out with their 850 series which incorporates 3D-V-NAND technology. It's going to be more expensive, but it may be worth it.

You don't need a CD drive to install Windows anymore; there is a way to install Windows using a USB drive. It's pretty simple, there should be a few tutorials/guilds for it around... Though, if you use the drive for installing other things, it could be worth it.

Though, it seems like you already bought the items from the way you talk about them in the notes...

Hope this helps you out.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I looked at DDR4 options but decided that the price increase of motherboard, ram, and cpu was a little much to justify. Also, the relatively newness of the technology made me somewhat worry about quality/reliability. Actually, the week after I ordered those items newegg had a package sale of the three. It was a semi face palm moment. I do debate if I made the right decision, esp with 4k, originally I was planning going max of $1500 which is what gauged my initial decision. I already owned win7 too so i really spent about $1400-$1500 total. I got the keyboard and mouse for christmas.

I didn't think about the fact ddr4 will be able to have 16gb sticks though, and max of 128gb. thats pretty amazing sounding and definitely would of been good for future proof.

I'll definitely look into the ssd drive. The comp already loads so quick but it will be something to look forward to in a year or two.

DVD drive, i probably didnt need. i guess i can justify for some older games i might install, but could of torrented. plus for $20 i dont mind having it for just in case situations.

And yes, I did already buy these items. For some reason when I posted this build as a completed build a few weeks ago, it didn't get approved. I was going to take pictures of the build after the new year when i get some time away from family and try and repost.

Thanks for your review!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

i agree that LGA2011-v3 (X99)is definitely more future-proof that LGA1150 (Z97), which won't see a new CPU series after Broadwell next year.

on top of that, DDR4 will become more common and prices will fall. the next Intel CPU platform, LGA9000-X or some crap, will definitely support it. there are already a few 16 Gig sticks, but not many.

i Haven't seen M2 or SATA-express SSD's below 8 grand, so....

GPU's are definitely getting shook up with Maxwell. i have no doubt that DisplayPort 1.3 will be on the 20nm 900 series GPU's that will be released in 2015. (between 300-600 dollars)

wait until they start releasing 4K Blu-Rays insert troll face here no matter what people say, optical isn't dead yet.

putting this up as a reply to 2 comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The Samsung XP941 Series (M.2) is around 1$/GB, ~500$ for 512GB.

Optical might not be dead (heck, I still have some 3.25" floppy disks), but for gamers who use Steam/Origin/Downloads, it just might be... Well, until they come out with a >100GB game that either requires a solid week of downloading or they give you the option of a set of DVDs/Blu-Ray or another HDD... (Just think, "This game comes pre-loaded on a hard drive we ship to you.")

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

that would be awesome. and since i measure my download speed in KB/s, very helpful. and optical is more alive for media junkies than gamers, i will say that

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I agree its a little underpowered, but did you read the notes? I am waiting for display port 1.3 support to buy an expensive graphics card. Next year I will get that upgrade. No sense in getting a $500 card for it not to be compatible with 4k 120hz...

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

i agree that LGA2011-v3 (X99)is definitely more future-proof that LGA1150 (Z97), which won't see a new CPU series after Broadwell next year.

on top of that, DDR4 will become more common and prices will fall. the next Intel CPU platform, LGA9000-X or some crap, will definitely support it. there are already a few 16 Gig sticks, but not many.

i Haven't seen M2 or SATA-express SSD's below 8 grand, so....

GPU's are definitely getting shook up with Maxwell. i have no doubt that DisplayPort 1.3 will be on the 20nm 900 series GPU's that will be released in 2015. (between 300-600 dollars)

wait until they start releasing 4K Blu-Rays insert troll face here no matter what people say, optical isn't dead yet.

putting this up as a reply to 2 comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

which won't see a new CPU series after Broadwell next year.

Actually, I've read that Skylake should be dropping shortly afterwards, or is planned to at the very least

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

yea but i don't know if it's going to be LGA1150 or not... i was going with what i knew was fact.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube