add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dad needs some help and feedback for son's build! Thanks

ebgamer

61 months ago

OK Dad here building his first machine in 15 years lots of changes, so I went out and bought my son a new gaming pc for christmas open the box got it hooked up thats when things just started going wrong. First tried to reg the pc with the manufacturing and it would not take the SN# saying it was an invalid number then the graphic card came up with an error when he would try to log onto Steam so any I just took it back for a refund and now I thought it would just be best to build one! So over the last 48 hrs I have gained enough knowledge to fill a thimble! So I have set the budget between $1500 to $2000 he plays on Steam and what I can tell he plays Minecraft with mods, Skyrim with mods, Planetary Annihilation and Battlefield 4 to name a few. Looking to do a good solid gaming pc that will last him awhile and have some growing room for new stuff that maybe coming down the road. Thanks again! http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ebgamer/saved/Y6trxr

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

you will definitely want at least a GTX 970 graphics card, maybe even two. (you can definitely pull off 2 with the budget you have)

a core i5 from Intel would be plenty for gaming. (avoid the X99 platform for now. too expensive) the core i5-4690K is the best bang for your buck right now.

give me a bit of time and i may be able to get a list set up for you. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

-----Ace Balthazar

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ace, Thanks I just reposted the parts list that I have to the forum.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $215.00 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z97-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $155.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $129.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $218.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $89.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI) $359.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI) $359.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower Case $79.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $49.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan NZXT FN-200RB 166.2 CFM 200mm Fan $11.99 @ Directron
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1911.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-26 20:30 EST-0500

some of your choices were a little overkill for a primarily gaming build. you definitely don't need 16 gigs of RAM and an i7 is more geared towards media creation. i was able to put two 970's in with your budget, and a 3TB HDD. the Source 530 is a pretty roomy case geared towards water cooling, so its got plenty of space. that Blu-Ray player will do everything you ever need it to.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ace, thanks so much for the list I like to dual card set up I would think that he should be able to play most games at the highest setting. Are there any for more fans in this case? Once again thanks for the help!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

yea no problem! two 970's will blow everything away, and be able to max everything at 1080. and the case comes with two fans but you can always pick up some for like 20 bucks (20$ should get you two pretty good fans)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube