add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Got together a gaming rig on a budget of £500, I am ready to start buying the parts. Opinions?

stopforth

61 months ago

This will be my first rig I will be putting together myself, do you guys have any concerns? The following are my proposed components, any advice/concerns will be greatly appreciated!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor £141.78 @ Scan.co.uk
Motherboard Asus H81M-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £40.99 @ Amazon UK
Memory *Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £42.97 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £39.99 @ Amazon UK
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card £139.97 @ Amazon UK
Case NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £30.25 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £44.99 @ Scan.co.uk
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer £13.15 @ Amazon UK
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £494.09
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-27 01:24 GMT+0000

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Looks nice for the budget, I would prolly change the PSU tho as corsairs non premium lines generally use budget manufacturers, this xfx is only a couple of quid more but made by seasonic who are one of the top firms.

I would add a ssd when you've got an extra ~50 quid too, 47 (+ p+p) for a 120gig Intel 520 is a great price

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I'm definitely going to be buying an ssd in the future, and this one looks great thanks

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Second the BIOS concerns. I got an H81 mobo with my first build a few months ago and my core i3 wouldn't work with it out of the box. In the end I changed it for an H97 mobo which is very nice (although you'll need a Z97 if you want to overclock).

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply, how can I check if the BIOS needs updating?

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

"The Intel® H81 Express chipset is a single-chipset design that supports socket LGA1150 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7/i5/i3/Pentium®/Celeron® processors." What do you think? thanks again

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

It does support it, but it will require a BIOS update first. However, you'll need to start up the computer for the first time with a 3rd generation CPU in order to update the BIOS. Your PC will not start up if you put a fourth gen processor in there first. This is the mistake I made a few months back. I would recommend going with an H97 or Z97 mobo. They're about £20 more, but they're newer and consequently support 4th gen CPUs out of the box, no updates needed. If you don't have a 3rd gen CPU to hand for you to do the update do not get anything other than an h97 or z97.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay I don't have a 3rd generation cpu so I guess I'll have to go with a H97/Z97. I'm so glad that I'm not going to run into that problem. Thanks! I found this mobo, will this be compatible? http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97pd3

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube